1D vs 40D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1D vs 40D

I have both the 300 and the 40D and shoot through the 100-400 IS. The AF tracking is so much improved on the 40D that I hardly miss a shot and all I shoot is aircraft. Just put her in AI servo mode with center focus and away you go ( Rapid fire ) Rad

Comment

Originally posted by Funflyer
      I have both the 300 and the 40D and shoot through the 100-400 IS. The AF tracking is so much improved on the 40D that I hardly miss a shot and all I shoot is aircraft. Just put her in AI servo mode with center focus and away you go ( Rapid fire ) Rad
      Thats the comparison I was hoping for. I knew the 40D would be an improvement, but how much? I knew the 1DIIN would be over the top better, but turns out, prpbability not going to happen. So, I didn't want to have this big build up for the 40D, and then its AF is only a bit better. I knew the camera has many features the I do want, but, I am changing because I want a significant increase in the AF.

The 300D has been a fine camera. I have learned a lot with it, but I am feeling its limitations. That being said, it may take a while for me to afford it, but at least I know what to get.

Going to the Sacramento Capitol Air Show in March. Don't think I can swing it before then, but hopefully by Reno.

This has been a really good thread. I would like to see more photography discussion. More pictures to. I read other photographic sites, but most of them are a wound a little tight when it comes to photography. This site has gearheads and airplane crazies who are photographers. Just like me.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Dan, Have you considered the new 450 which has just been released. From what I understand it is very comparable to the 40D with the same AF etc. I believe the asking price is $799. Rad

Comment

Originally posted by Funflyer
          Dan, Have you considered the new 450 which has just been released. From what I understand it is very comparable to the 40D with the same AF etc. I believe the asking price is $799. Rad
          I am assuming the 450D is the new XSi.
          I've looked at the specs, and while the AF is improved, I don't know if I would say it is the same as the 40D. It shares the DIGIC III processor, but I believe that process the images.

In addition, my number 2 requirement is for an increased buffer. The 40D has 19 RAW images, while the 450D is 6.

I am waiting to see some reviews. Haven't actually seen the price on one yet.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Well, I did it. Bought my 40D. So far I am real impressed. Just playing around shooting yard birds and traffic driving by. First real event will be races at Laguna Seca, May 16-18.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

You should like it. I'll have mine at Road America that weekend.

Comment

Working...
              X