"Fixing" Bad Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Fixing" Bad Shots

Maybe you photoshop guys can help here. Same airplane as above as it taxi's right by me at Oshkosh. Notice the nice porta-potties, the golf cart, the other photographer in the background. Another in the collection of nice photo, crap background.

And, yes the nose is too red, I just resized a jpeg to post, too lazy to find the RAW file.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey Tim,

Something like this?
      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

That works. You can tell it is cloned though. I'm sure through very, very careful cloning you would not be able to tell. I just don't have the ambition to go that far. If it was the only P-51 shot I had, then yea, but I just look for others to blow up and print.

I just really like the prop blur and early morning sun in this shot, so I saved the RAW file. You just don't get a chance to stand right next to an active taxiway at many airshows like you can at Oshkosh.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
          You can tell it is cloned though.
          Well that's the quick & dirty version if you were paying me $50.00 per hr and I was working with a high res full size file it would look a bit different. Trying to repair small jpeg files is a waste of time, I just thought I'd have a little fun with your photo. Prop-blur lighting is a real hit and miss thing either your in the right place at the right time and the airplane just happens to turn at just that right angle or it doesn't work.
          Nice shot though. Background junk is a bummer sometimes you have no choice and half of the time you don't notice it until your home reviewing your photos.
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I wasn't dissing your PS skills. The stuff you do with some of your shots is really amazing. I clone quite a bit sometimes, but sometimes I just can't get it to look the best. It looks good on a photo sized for the web, but blown up for print, forget it.

I just do the quick and easy stuff now, but at least I still have all the RAW files to go back and play with as I learn more.

As for backgrounds, I never really paid any attention in the past, but now that I actually try to think sometimes before I shoot, I find myself in all kinds of odd angles to get rid of distracting backgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
              As for backgrounds, I never really paid any attention in the past, but now that I actually try to think sometimes before I shoot, I find myself in all kinds of odd angles to get rid of distracting backgrounds.
              I hope my friends Robert Eng and Tyson will cime in here but I also almost always try for the uncluttered look and by doing so, I miss the shots that really tell the story of an event such as this Tyson shot taken at Nellis....

This one netted him a slot in Aviation Week, because of the clutter. What I'm trying to say, from a "newsman" and or event story teller point of view, getting all the "stuff" in the shot is a major part of the craft.

No question, airplanes with legs (people standing behind the subject) will probably never do but getting the stuff in *is* important too..

I've got a photo shoot by Robert's friend Arnold Greenwell, who covered one half of Oshkosh for us this year (yes, indeed, I've got a LOT of projects due for new year's treats for you guys) (Jeff Lo Covered the other half) anyway, what I noticed in Arnold's shoot was he REALLY brought the entire Oshkosh view into his photos, not just perfectly lovely airplane "portraits" but Arnold got it all in his album. He did exactly what an editor would want, cover every aspect of the event, from the hotdog vendor to the finest airplanes in the world..

I learn from guys like Arnold, I remember my huge shortcoming in this area every time I'm asked for an event photo that really tells the event story..

This is a cool subject, it'd be neat if some of the pros who visit this board (so far, for the most part, just watching) and whom I've gotten a chance to meet, who probably have never been here, could chime in with tips of this sort..

For instance, if I were hired by a publication and brought back what I usually bring back, it'd be the last time they sent me out, that's for sure.. For me, I have to kick myself to try to remember to get the "other" shots.. I know some of you have an eye for this sort of thing, usually, when I *do* remember to try to get some of them... I find myself looking through the viewfinder thinking..... ahhhh... what am I shooting????

Just a different way of looking at the "clutter"

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I recall a thread on Scotty's board a few years back featuring t-shirts "cluttered" with feminine assets. I think it was in his pre-nurse FA days... It was most excellent!
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I admit if I were shooting for someone, I would look at it differently. I did take a more than a few with people in them like this,

that I had posted before. Since that midwest team bought some of my photos to promote there act, I will get press access at at least a couple of arishows this year, so I'll get a chance to try some different stuff hopefully.

Comment

Tim,

I really like this 'cluttered' shot that you took at this years races. The compression of the telephoto really adds something and makes September Fury look like it is really looming over the crowd gathered along the flight line.

In regards to what any of us shoot at an airshow I think it depends what your goals are for the day. For some of us it is nothing more than getting the coolest possible photo that we can of the airplane either in the air or on the ground. Usually that means without people in the way and especially the port-o-potties.

For the professionals who's aim it is to get their photos published they have to look at it with a different eye. A publication like Air and Space probably already has thousands of pictures of the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels flying through the air and would be more interested in a shot that shows some of the local flavor of the show.

I tried to approach each show last year with the goal of digitally capturing something about the show that made it unique. I did this more to try to improve my skills as a photographer than anything else. The idea of what a publication would want is not a major concern for me at this point. I don't have the contacts and don't know the first thing about what they require for their submissions.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that if your goal is to get published that's great. If your goal is to just capture some cool shots of airplanes that's good too.

Some 'cluttered shots' from last years airshows:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by rpzo; 12-19-2004, 12:44 PM.

Comment

And a Bear shot rescue. At this crop, it lost resolution, so...Degas it is.
                      Attached Files
                      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

"Somebody stop me!" The mondo "Big Bossman".
                        Attached Files
                        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

What am I doing wrong? I can never get my camera to focus that well.

Comment

What am I doing wrong? I can never get my camera to focus that well.
                            That's because you didn't order your 10D with the Degas focusing option.
                            I think that option comes standard on the Nikons.

Comment

Ouch! The Bossman shot was taken by my nephew with my bro's Nikon D70. But you knew that! It *was* blurred, Gosh. Miro next? So many toys, so little time...
                              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Peashooter,

No offense meant, just poking a little fun at the other brand. I had no idea that it was shot with a Nikon. Truth be told I have plenty of blurred shots that originated from my Canon.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X