Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: looking for pictures

Originally posted by blacksheep
    Sundancer was based on the "midget mustang " with the bottom inverted gull wing added
    Ditto on Cobra.
    There were some speed discrepencies in that class, when a rule change, allowed for bigger engines. There was a "gentlemans aggrement" with the FAST guys, to stick with the smaller o-290's, and wait untill the slower guys started catching up. THAT didn't last long......
    BIG SALUTE to the inovators, (whether something worked or not, you never know till you try, you never get anywere, standing still, (OK you never get anywere in a race either, but you get the point)............................................ ..................Paul
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    HEY MR. RUTAN, got some free time now? How about another racer?

Comment

Sorceress was the joint concept of Lee Mahoney and Les Wagner. It was conceived as a home built unlinmted, using a Corvette engine. At soem point in time, Lee and Les parted ways and the airplane was built in Mickey Mahoney's garage in Inglewood by Lee, Mickey, Don Schmidt, Ron Hackworth and myself, with help at times from Lee' (then) brother-in-law.
      The airplane is in storage in the Silver Hills segment of the Smithsonian, unless it haas been moved in the past few years.
      I have a few pictures and some slides of the construction.
      marsh caldwell

Comment

Marsh, I'm sure everyone here would LOVE to see whatever photos you have! Let me know if I can be of help in getting them posted. If you have them "digitized" (scanned or whatever) it will be pretty easy, if they are still in print, negative or slide form, we can handle that for you also if necessary. Feel free to email me at submit@aafo.com (I'll respond with my "real" email address) if you want to share the images!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          Marsh, I'm sure everyone here would LOVE to see whatever photos you have! Let me know if I can be of help in getting them posted. If you have them "digitized" (scanned or whatever) it will be pretty easy, if they are still in print, negative or slide form, we can handle that for you also if necessary. Feel free to email me at submit@aafo.com (I'll respond with my "real" email address) if you want to share the images!

Wayne
          Woot - and don't forget... my Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED is always at everyone's dispoasal. Guarnteed top results from your slides, and I'll be more then happyto supply you with a CD or DVD of the full res versions for your personal archive. The offer is always open
          Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra
            Woot - and don't forget... my Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED is always at everyone's dispoasal. Guarnteed top results from your slides, and I'll be more then happyto supply you with a CD or DVD of the full res versions for your personal archive. The offer is always open
            Wow, you could be kept REALLY busy bit it occurs to me, I'd bet there are tons of really rare photos out there in the hands of some of the folks who visit here. If we could get them digitized and on-line viewable, it would be huge!

Even some of Mr. Larkins photos have trouble, as seen here because of his scanner quality....

(by the way, Bill has not been answering email and posts here and we can only pray that he's OK!!)

I can only kick myself that my earliest visits to Reno were done with a 110 P&S and those tiny negs are impossible to scan as far as I know and the prints are trash....

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I can only kick myself that my earliest visits to Reno were done with a 110 P&S and those tiny negs are impossible to scan as far as I know and the prints are trash....
              You can always mount negatives in slide mounts - easy peasy
              Mark K....

Comment

(by the way, Bill has not been answering email and posts here and we can only pray that he's OK!!)
                He certainly has my prayers that all is going well with him and family. We can only hope that this is just a temporary thing - people like Bill are treasures and loosing someone like that would be devistating to the sport.
                Mark K....

Comment

You can always mount negatives in slide mounts - easy peasy
                  Hummn... Markers, if you don't mind, and when done would not be an issue (i.e. take your time!) I'll dig out those that I do have and send them off to you. They would, obviously, even if done in the best manner possible, be terrible quality, especially if compaired to today's photos. But, I think there is some history there. I know I've got Gary Levitz in an unpainted #38 P-38 taxiing out and a lot of pit stuff from '79 (my first year) and each year thereafter, I took, at least, some stuff. I was not what you'd call "avid" in my photographic efforts and somewhere around '89, I bought a video camera and did not take any stills during the period from when I got it till my last race before the 5 year hiatus from going, after my dad died... It'd be interesting to see the stuff I did take, done well and see if anything is of value.

Wayner
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

He certainly has my prayers that all is going well with him and family. We can only hope that this is just a temporary thing - people like Bill are treasures and loosing someone like that would be devistating to the sport.
                    Bill truely is a treasure, some of the stuff he produces is just amazing. He seemingly was EVERYWHERE back then when so many interesting things were happening in aviation. He also has some absolutely sickening shots of row after row of beautiful historic warbirds awaiting the smelter... if only more people would have had the vision of what might be, we will only get to imagine filling the skies with the old warplanes as was once done... if only...

Bill, wherever you are, if you read this, we all hope it finds you in good health! If not, get well soon my friend!

Wayner
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hummn... Markers, if you don't mind, and when done would not be an issue (i.e. take your time!) I'll dig out those that I do have and send them off to you. They would, obviously, even if done in the best manner possible, be terrible quality, especially if compaired to today's photos. But, I think there is some history there. I know I've got Gary Levitz in an unpainted #38 P-38 taxiing out and a lot of pit stuff from '79 (my first year) and each year thereafter, I took, at least, some stuff. I was not what you'd call "avid" in my photographic efforts and somewhere around '89, I bought a video camera and did not take any stills during the period from when I got it till my last race before the 5 year hiatus from going, after my dad died... It'd be interesting to see the stuff I did take, done well and see if anything is of value.

Wayner
                      Send 'em down bro - you know I LOVE stuff like that.... finding that "hidden treasure" only takes a little time & effort. In fact, I think I'm going to be re-scanning all my old photos too. It will be good therapy to get back into the swing of things.
                      Mark K....

Comment

Hey, thanks Markers... very cool... I'll dig through the old photo boxes, providing I can find them after all my moves over the last few years! I moved twice in just over 20 years, then over the last 5, I've moved something like four times... stuff tends to get.. "lost" in the shuffle.. not really lost but might as well be!

I hope some of those old 110's are worth the effort. One of these days, I'll also have to dig out my old Hi8 video collection. It's not as old, only going back to maybe '88-'89 era but should be some interesting stuff there also. Since I have a computer that will handle editing, I shoud be able to come up with something of interest. (if my energy ever returns!)

On the Bill Larkins front, GOOD NEWS! I received a couple emails from Bill and he's alive and well and working hard, which is why we've not seen him lately.

He's got a couple books coming out and I'll try to keep up on them, and hopefully, Bill will check in here from time to time to keep us informed of his adventures! He truly is a treasure, his archives are amazing, as is his depth of information on avaiation and photography of same!

Stay well and productive Bill!!

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I have some photos from the early 80's??
                          White Lightnin, Blue Max, Nuthin Special,
                          Super K, The Bear in her old colours, Strega,etc.
                          Maybe some of them would be of use to someone besides me.
                          I don't have a scanner, but if someone wants to take a look at them
                          I can send them along. There's at least a few decent shots there.
                          cheers, Rachel

Comment

Wayne,

You never know what you might find when going through those boxes of old 110's. I found these a while back in a box I had left at my parents house when I moved out 20 years ago. The black Mustang is Clay Klabo's and I don't remember who owned the P-40 but it was a popular airplane at the time. Both were taken with a Kodak 110 instamatic at an airshow in Livermore sometime around 1975. The T-bird T-38 shot was taken at Travis AFB in 1976.

I remember the Livermore event because a friend and I pedaled our bikes about 45 miles to get there. Things got ugly later in the day when the rain started and we had to call my dad for a ride home. He was more than surprised to find out where he had to pick us up at and I ended up being grounded for a week. Small price to pay.

Comment

Wayne,

Having difficulty uploading this evening. The pics have been sent to your server but they don't appear to be attaching to the message. I see them listed with the other pics that I've uploaded in the past but there not attached to any messages. Theyr'e identified as 'In Progress' Must be a ghost in the machine this evening

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
                                Wayne,

Having difficulty uploading this evening. The pics have been sent to your server but they don't appear to be attaching to the message. I see them listed with the other pics that I've uploaded in the past but there not attached to any messages. Theyr'e identified as 'In Progress' Must be a ghost in the machine this evening
                                Rick, had that happen to me once.. I can not remember what I did to "unlock" it... wuz a glitch with one of them I think... can you delete the attachments in question and then reupload? I think that's what I had to do.

Wayne
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X