Xtreme Air racing availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Xtreme Air racing availability

Don't get me wrong. Despite my beefs about a few items, I love the game/sim and fly it all the time.

I'm using a Voodoo-5 5500 videocard in a 1-ghz pentium 3 for XAR-1, and the graphics are quite nice and framerates fast and smooth.....no complaints there. All my graphics settings are on high detail.

For control I have a gameport CH-products 4-button F-16 fighterstick...It felt better than any of the sticks available when I bought it many years ago....

(I'll check out that site Sryth....thanx for the link )

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
      I'm using a Voodoo-5 5500 videocard in a 1-ghz pentium 3 for XAR-1, and the graphics are quite nice and framerates fast and smooth.....no complaints there. All my graphics settings are on high detail.

For control I have a gameport CH-products 4-button F-16 fighterstick...It felt better than any of the sticks available when I bought it many years ago.... )
      Airdoggie,

That's exactly the system I just replaced. Actually for most stuff I did, day to day, it worked well for me, when I processed big images for prints and such, well.. just wasn't enough!

I had the fighter stick or combat stick, had a bunch of buttons, some programable. Then the throttle thing with a TON of programable buttons and it also would program some of the joystick buttons. That and the pro pedals... all gameport. Dunno if you actually could run a game card on a P4 system?

It'd sure scream on this new box! P4 2.6 GHz 1Gb sync ram, nasty fast machine! Begs for a game or three on it but.. I actually hate sitting in front of the computer anymore..

I *HAVE* to spend too much time here already.

Fun is now kickin back with the GF toasting the sunset!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
        Dunno if you actually could run a game card on a P4 system?
        Not so much the processor that's the problem, more the OS. Something changed in Win2K & XP that rendered soundcard gameport controls kaput - the makers of gameport gear haven't bothered providing drivers for Win2K or XP, apparently because it can't be done (or they wanted drive new stick sales... nah, they'd never do that). It's all USB now.

As for the Voodoo cards, I think they stopped making them before the transition to the AGP graphic standard & they may all be PCI. On the other hand, seems motherboard makers are transitioning now to the new PCI Express standard, which may include support for legacy PCI cards, which could get Voodooo cards back in some high-speed rigs - would just need the OS video drivers. But I could be wrong - there might be some other technical hurdles to getting them working on newer boards that can't be overcome.

Cheers,

Daiwa

Comment

Something changed in Win2K & XP that rendered soundcard gameport controls kaput
          Might be something between the newer OS and the pentium 4's.....I'm running XP pro on my Pent-3, and the gameport works fine. Also, my stick is an analog 4-button model, not a digital version, so that may be the source of the trouble. Digital game controllers tend to be more sensitive about drivers. I have yet to try a digital stick with XP..

As for the Voodoo cards, I think they stopped making them before the transition to the AGP graphic standard & they may all be PCI.
          No. They had AGP versions way back when I had my Voodoo2 card 5 years ago....I think the AGP slots appeared when Pentium-2 machines came about (and 3DFX voodoo cards were the best you could find). My current Voodoo5 is AGP.

You can get updated drivers for voodoo videocards at: http://www.voodoofiles.com

Comment

Shows you what I know. MOTS - never listen to an amateur.

Cheers,

Daiwa

Comment

Wayners,
              I should have clarified my "graphics" beef. Everything looked pretty great, Except for the aircraft, which still weren't all that bad. I've gotten used to the exacting detail of alot of the MSFS designers, and now I'm just a little spoiled! The layout of the course does seem very real, and the view from the cockpit is the best that I've seen. I was only a little disapointed by the anhedral of the wings on the mustang, main gear perpendicular to the ground when parked, too small cowling, etc. Minor, minor, minor complaints. I really do love the game, and if Pat's around in September I'll buy him a few beers! XAR is still way better than what anyone has done with MSFS. Varo has done a decent job, but their course is WAY to small. You pretty much bank the plane 90 degrees to the left and pull back on the stick and hope you make the pylon. MSFS doesn't allow the kind of view out of the cockpit that you need for that tight of a course.

Off this subject, but still in the thread: I used the Logitec digital wingman and loved it till I wore it out! I now use the Logitech Freedom 2.4 cordless joystick. I don't recommend it! So far it's wearing out faster than the wingman, and it shuts down after 1.5 minutes of non-use. In MSFS, if you set up a flight from point A to point B, It will shut down. When this happens, your throttle goes full bore. You can't set your RPM's at any certain setting for more than 1.5 minutes unless your constantly playing with it to keep it "awake". Just my .02.

Race 29
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I still have a P3 1GHz Win98SE system operational with a Voodoo 5500. Perhaps the best way to play XAR1.

I can play XAR1 on WinXP with a Radeon 9800 Pro, but it :cword:es periodically. At most one race before a accident.

Comment

Strike Eagle / Daiwa,

I am also running XP with a Radeon card. I think it is the 9800 but not the pro. I am using CH pedals and flight stick for controls. Mine also locks up frequently. I am using version 1.02 of Xtreme air racing.

Daiwa - I emailed you my info this morning. Any help\ideas to make the game run smoother would be great!

Thanks,

David

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
                    Varo has done a decent job, but their course is WAY to small. You pretty much bank the plane 90 degrees to the left and pull back on the stick and hope you make the pylon. MSFS doesn't allow the kind of view out of the cockpit that you need for that tight of a course.
                    Race 29
                    Which one there are 4 with different lengths. You should also try pulling your zoom back to .50 or in 2k4 .75. Helps a lot with seeing the pylons. But you are right MSFS doesn't really cater to air racing but we are doing our best and working around a lot of the issues.

If you are looking for long courses. KMSO is around 10 miles, KMHV is 8 and KDVT is somewhere in there as well. Now KMQJ is different. At VARO we are trying to make air racing a little more interesting not just floor it and turn anyone can do that. At KMQJ you have to slow down on the back side to make the turn. Seems to make for an interesting race and requires a lot more skill. We are also building a Reno replica that will be as close as I can get it to reality specially since its already in MSFS2k4.

Comment

Ahhhhh, you have to slow down during a race. I should have known. Now I can see the challenge of the course. I really just got used to the XAR course and compaired yours to their's. I've tried to change the zoom value but it really distorts everything. Believe me, I'm not knocking your efforts at all! I'm really thankfull your there. You've designed an online air racing competition, what could be better than that?! Also, the repaints of Roger Dial's P-51 are fantastic.

Race 29

Comment

Thanks for the praise. The Roger Dial Mustangs is great but my only gripe was that its really not a racing mustang. It a stock mustang, no clipped wings, stock canopy etc. Thats why I made the Racer package. 3 racing aircraft. A bearcat modeled after Rare Bear, a Mustang thats based on Dago Red and a Seafury that looks like good old Dreadnought. All with individual flight models that will hit abot 520 mph. VARO is now completly custom built. We have our own F1 and of course the Racers. I will admit though Roger Dial's mustang helped jump start VARO's air racing.

One question though what website are you going to Race 29. We don't have any RD P-51 skins available anymore. Our current site is http://srythshangar.lasthome.net much improved over any of our older sites.

Comment

Rumors of new version?

I've heard rumors of an updated version of XAR being released under the name "Reno Racer" by Silicon Studios...word is Patrick Hunt is connected with the project as well...but I'm having a hard time finding any additional information, either on the company or the game itself...can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks in advance...

-T

Comment

Sryth,
                            I don't remember which web site I got the repaints from. I thought it was your's as there were some really good screen shots of past races. I've got your modified Mustang, Bearcat, and F-1. The flight dynamics need a little tweeking, but I'm not complaining. I've had the same complaints about RD's Mustang (Too Stock). It would be great if there were a model of Tsunami, MAII, Red Baron, Dago, etc. I've tried my hand at designing airplanes for MSFS, but I just don't have the talent. Therefore I can't really complain too much about what's available.

Race 29

Comment

Well seems like you may have been to another site or haven't been to our current site recenty(http://srythshangar.lasthome.net) Anyway, Our current racing mustang that is part of the VARO Racer Vol 1 is basically Dago,Strega and the old Voodoo rolled into once(since they basically came out of the same speed shop) I am currently working on the following aircraft, pond racer,tsunami, redbarron. They will be released around july. As for tweaks to the flight dynamics I understand where you are coming from the main problem is MSFS. I wasn't designed to do anything really outside the standard flight envelope so we have to modify the flight dynamics to get the specs close. So if you do feel the need to complain send it the MSFS development.

Comment

Sryth,
                                No complaints here! The limitations of MSFS have been well documented. That is so cool that you are working on all the other racers! I can't wait to see and fly those!

Race 29

Comment

Working...
                                X