Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precious Metal... Cat's Outta The Bag...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Precious Metal... Cat's Outta The Bag...

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    Actually, that is a very light airframe even with the Griffon and prop setup. Lighter than you would think.

And with all the bondo and 'aerodynamic filler' used in profiling Strega/Voodoo/Dago, that added a lot of weight that PM doesn't have to haul around.
    As one who has done a bit of sanding of the filler in a P-51 and other racer Wings that isn't much weight and really helps the aerodynamics so is a net gain IMHO.
    My comparison is based on PM vs a Strega type airframe. PM may be light but the engine/prop will never be lighter than a Merlin/ HAm Std setup. It also won't have the same surface or wet area. Griffons just don't seem to handle the uber power output that a Merlin is able to produce.
    Even though I'm in PA I'm gonna adjust valves on a Griffon just to show my support for you racers.

Comment

Originally posted by 51fixer View Post
      Randy, when you gonna come out and help with the SNJ?
      Maybe sooner than later! Depends on where my Uncle Sam sends me next, and one of the possibilities is up on the right coast.

Love to come on up and grab a rag and a wrench!

Comment

Originally posted by 51fixer View Post
        As one who has done a bit of sanding of the filler in a P-51 and other racer Wings that isn't much weight and really helps the aerodynamics so is a net gain IMHO.
        My comparison is based on PM vs a Strega type airframe. PM may be light but the engine/prop will never be lighter than a Merlin/ HAm Std setup. It also won't have the same surface or wet area. Griffons just don't seem to handle the uber power output that a Merlin is able to produce.
        Even though I'm in PA I'm gonna adjust valves on a Griffon just to show my support for you racers.
        Red Baron seemed to do pretty well with similar setup.
        F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Originally posted by jhall@jetav.com View Post
          Red Baron seemed to do pretty well with similar setup.
          There's nothing inherently wrong with the Griffon and Shack prop setup. Miss Ashley II did extremely well with it as well.

Two big differences between Precious Metal and the Red Baron:

One, the rest of the racers were a lot slower, and thus the RB-51's performance was only "comparatively" better.

Two, if you take a good look and compare the RB-51 and N6WJ, you'll see that the Baron's Grif installation was much cleaner and was more tightly cowled.

Comment

PM is on the ramp at Stead!
            Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post

Two, if you take a good look and compare the RB-51 and N6WJ, you'll see that the Baron's Grif installation was much cleaner and was more tightly cowled.
              RB had a bigger chin bump, though. PM does have that pregnant guppy look with that extra area added to the top of the fuselage...

Comment

This was posted on another of the aviation forums I participate in, figured you guys would be entertained by it.

This has to be a colossal case of the individual seriously misunderstanding what Thom told him:

Talking w Thom this morning, Precious Metal is all P-51. Everything is in the logbooks, and IS documented. The entire airplane is a P-51B, except, as you mentioned, the firewall forward, which was customized to fit the racing motor, and further customized to fit the bigger RR Griffon motor Thom put in it. The turtle deck was customized, and the canopy, obviously was rebuilt. The wings were clipped, as well, but it started as a B model 51.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                  This was posted on another of the aviation forums I participate in, figured you guys would be entertained by it.

This has to be a colossal case of the individual seriously misunderstanding what Thom told him:

Comment

Working...
                  X