Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Picture Comparo

Originally posted by Propellerhead View Post
    Six get to stand down with a small field of a/c instead of the customary four.

Haven't seen that happen for a while, but it's in da rulez.
    That seems backward to me. It means fewer a/c flying during the week.
    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

With the new course changes I think qual speed between some of the more closely matched planes will somewhat come down to whose wing works best when you have to fly a much tighter line than in the past.

Comment

With each race most likely being cut from 8 down to 6 planes the entire Gold race field will stand down till Friday. Hopefully that will make for a better race on Sunday

Comment

I don't see how it is so hard for yo guys to comprehend... FURIAS IS GOING TO DESTROY RARE BEAR IN QUALS!!!
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            With the new course changes I think qual speed between some of the more closely matched planes will somewhat come down to whose wing works best when you have to fly a much tighter line than in the past.
            It's not a "much tighter line" in my opinion. It's more or less a smoother line. And easier to identify. I don't think the actual speeds will be much slower. However, the recorded speeds will be higher, on account of a greater difference between the actual course length, and the calculated course length.

It's a lengthy discussion, if you know what I mean!

If #38 could do 450+ in 1988, it could literally fly slower this September, and post speeds in excess of 470mph. It's just the nature of the beast.

Joseph

Comment

Wow folks! Lighten up.

It's just a fun prediction thread. Who knows which teams really want to show their hand before Friday. If all six remain healthy through the qualifying process, there may be a team or two not interested in being in a tighter cluster in the 4th or 5th spot on Friday's first lap. There may be other teams saying let's just hold back and see how things line out after a lap but not show our hand at all today. Lots of unknowns so that is what should be making it fun...

As far as race #38 speeds. The 453.437 Whittington speed should be easy to match. You have a better prepared machine, an excellent crew doing things right and a very good stick. Toss in maybe a few new speed secrets or a few new changes (most of us haven't heard about yet) and what is the big deal with 450+???

Race 232 has the right equipment and is cleaner with potentially faster airframe. Their 2006 best of 478.512 is a little faster than the 476.374 prediction, but I just am not convinced the mostly newer crew is at the learning curve yet that the 2006 and beyond crew was at. I predict a few bugs that may slow them down a bit, but maybe by Sunday they will have the answers they need to crank it up.

So now, a 490+ Furias? Just wait...meantime, make your own predictions and don't be afraid to take a longshot guess that many could laugh at. Who cares?

Lowell

Comment

Power and drag. The engine and radiator scoop are the main factors that will keep 454 from being attainable for #38.
                Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                  Power and drag. The engine and radiator scoop are the main factors that will keep 454 from being attainable for #38.
                  Chris...
                  Agreed. Not to mention the prop/nosecase of the Shackelton Griffon. Although it's been relatively commonplace since the 1980's, 450+ on the race course is NO joke, and still kinda the "standard" for what makes a truly competitive Gold racer. IIRC, PM is the ONLY Griffon powered racer to attain 450+, including the late, great Red Baron, which to my understanding, had the same motor (57/58) and dual-stage blower (74?) setup as PM. My guess is it will take close to 100" of reliable Griffon MAP to produce the HP necessary for PM push 450 and above. Can they do it? I wish them all the luck in the world, but even though I'm not from Missouri, "Show Me!"

SA

Comment

As much as I love the mixmaster mustangs, I don't see it going into the 470's. I COULD see it giving Dread a good run if all is as they claim.
                    I still see it coming down to Strega/Bear, the Furias/232, then Dread/PM, 3-2 plane races.
                    Just MHO.
                    OR...
                    Air Buiscut shows up with nitrous added and works its way into the bump up for the Gold, where through a series of stockers going slow and pylon cuts during the week it runs against Sparky, already in tail end Gold slot. Both of them duke it out flying nice smooth races. By the end, all the top contenders have either forced each other to break or have multiple cuts / deadline busts and it ends with Sparky in front with Air Buscuit (even though they finish 3 laps after everyone else) a distant second.

Sorry, Sparky fan.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

With the changes in the course many are saying that it will be very difficult to pass. This would mean that even more so the race will be won or lost in the chute into the course. A drag race if you will. I have seen a healthy 77 do some pretty amazing things in a straight line.

I ,for one, will be screaming "PUSH THE BUTTON!!"

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                        I ,for one, will be screaming "PUSH THE BUTTON!!"
                        Right there with ya, jibus! Let's see how that witch fares against the Bear on the juice!

Comment

It'll take a talented and aggressive pilot to pass Stevo on the start. He and Steve flying the start together gives Strega the edge. He flies on dad's wing, up on the leading edge, knows intrinsically when they're going to be released. One has to push a jumped-start to win the drag race from the number two spot.

The Mustangs have closed the speed gap on the start since the best of the Bearcat starts. Not that it can't be done again but the best and most dramatic starts were with Lyle and that was a long time ago. '91 was the best, a diving Tsunami (I know what he said) and wide open Strega couldn't hold the Bearcat off as it dominated the drag race to the lead. That race being the maturation of the "really fast period" we have been living since, Strega, Dago Red and Voodoo have made those incremental climbs over the Bearcat to a somewhat superior position. Getting the most power ever out of the engine, advantage from the latest aero clean-up's and the best technique from the pilot could put the Bearcat in the hunt for another "all racers wide-open" victory.

And since this is a Sea Fury thread; Steve and Neil Anderson historically were the one's that used the most power from the 4360's as far as I remember, and stayed together. Steve admitted he was getting as much as he could. Over 4500 hp to stay with Neil, he using just a little less. If that power can be matched by the Bearcat, there's no way the Furies can get around it. They might stay with it but it would mean they found 15 to 20 mph in drag reduction because the Bearcat is a (so far) 499+ airplane with less than 4400 hp. The fastest Sea Fury with either 3350 (4400 hp) or 4360 (4500 hp) is not that fast.

It'll be interesting to see what pans out. Good luck to all, I'll be at the Indycar race.

Comment

Are you able to access the 2012 rules? I have a copy of the 2011 rules, and the standard field for Unlimiteds is 24, which allows the top four to stand down on Thursday. (appendix A, page 29)

The Unlimited group has the option of using a 27 plane progression chart if more than 24 airplanes are available to race at the conclusion of qualifying. That allows the top six to stand down. (appendix A1, page 32)

Based on entries, I do not think they will have more than 24 starters ready on Thursday, but it would be great if they do.
                            Last edited by glider90; 08-30-2012, 01:01 PM. Reason: addded link to 2011 rules

Comment

Originally posted by glider90 View Post
                              Are you able to access the 2012 rules? I have a copy of the 2011 rules, and the standard field for Unlimiteds is 24, which allows the top four to stand down on Thursday. (appendix A, page 29)

The Unlimited group has the option of using a 27 plane progression chart if more than 24 airplanes are available to race at the conclusion of qualifying. That allows the top six to stand down. (appendix A1, page 32)

Based on entries, I do not think they will have more than 24 starters ready on Thursday, but it would be great if they do.
                              Yup, I've got that backwards. Didn't realize they had the option for 6 planes standing down for the big field until this thread was started and then went off and misread the rules. D'oh! 2012 is here: http://airrace.org/userfiles/files/R...tition2012.pdf

Since I've been going for full weeks (2003) I've only seen 4 planes standing down for Friday never six. Before that I'd only be there for Saturday and Sunday, so qualifying was pretty meaningless. But I got tired of missing planes due to attrition and started doing the whole week.

Since we're not going to see a big field this year, it's back to the "traditional" 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
                                So as far as average race speeds go, the 4 fastest Reno RACERS ever are Dago Red, Strega, Rare Bear, and September Fury.

Dago Fastest of them all. . . . . .again (as Forest Gump would say)

Oh and my prediction this year is that we WILL have a Sunday Race!
                                Last edited by Dago Dog; 08-31-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X