Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RUMOR-STARTING-TIME :-P

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
    Something happened, motor was toast. It went back to CA on a flatbed.
    88SC is correct. There was a gasket leaking, that is all. The flatbed trip was precautionary. Same Engine-Still Happy

Comment

I will confirm the fact that it was the best sounding 4360 I have ever heard.

Comment

Here is some more Precious Metal stuff...I guess if they put it up on Facebook, they're ok with people seeing it. First, a really blurry video of their test flight after this year's refinements:

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
        "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

And here are pics of a couple of new goodies:

-an anti-glare panel

-possibly a re-profiled radiator scoop

The key thing for me is the scoop...it had a stock radiator scoop for so long, and considering that all of the most successful Mustang air racers have had re-profiled scoops for less drag, I knew that PM would HAVE to have work done on its scoop if higher speeds were desired.
          Last edited by Tigercat24; 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM.
          -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

And in The Witch's lair, it doesn't look too much different. But I guess when you're #1, you don't have to change much :-P
            Last edited by Tigercat24; 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM.
            -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

And that is Czech Mate's wing in the back...so it is definitley confirmed, Race 86 will not race this year.
              -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post

-an anti-glare panel

The key thing for me is the scoop...it had a stock radiator scoop for so long, and considering that all of the most successful Mustang air racers have had re-profiled scoops for less drag, I knew that PM would HAVE to have work done on its scoop if higher speeds were desired.
                Keep in mind it's more than just the profile of the scoop. Changing/diverting the airflow is critical to that modification being truly successful, and that will usually require removing and/or relocating the oil cooler (of some type). So the next questions are: where, how and what. Simply narrowing the opening would provide minimal gains in speed.

SA
                Last edited by Smee Again; 08-30-2012, 07:43 AM.

Comment

-an anti-glare panel

Funny how you share photos that show NOTHING of the real modification that, if there are going to be any gains in performance, is going to be the key.

Comment

As usual, Big Jim corrects me. I assume that there is/are new goodies underneath the metal that will do wonders...I just have no clue what they are.
                    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

As usual, Big Jim corrects me. I assume that there is/are new goodies underneath the metal that will do wonders...I just have no clue what they are.
                      It's not even 'underneath'. It will be readily evident as soon as it lands at Stead.

Comment

Mystery...ok here are some guesses:

-that awful boxy-looking doghouse exit is conformed to the fuselage instead of there being that odd-looking "notch" right before the tailwheel

-the turtledeck canopy is no longer as "hump-backed" as it was

-prop diameter has changed

-that shark gill thing actually will be used

-new wingtips

-not a clue
                        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

New prop tips?
                          -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

The prop blades have been reprofiled, tips changed, or whatever using CNC. That scoop deal looks like the one that was used on the airplane years ago. They could have spent a little money and had something nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                              The prop blades have been reprofiled, tips changed, or whatever using CNC. That scoop deal looks like the one that was used on the airplane years ago. They could have spent a little money and had something nicer.
                              Mike, are you saying your phone didn't ring?

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                                Like Voodoo? (OK that's probably more than a little money)

Comment

Working...
                                X