Armstrong is gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Armstrong is gone

I suppose he will be honoured in this next Reno event, in its program booklet.
    I remermber that TV transmision clearly. All the world stopped to see that moment.
    Great man, God bless you.

Comment

Where were you when he set foot on the Moon?

I was a young child playing with Matchbox die-cast cars on the living room floor while watching the event on TV.

I definitely remember being disappointed by the low-quality video broadcasts as Neil stepped out. As a little one I didn't understand the complications and limitations of technology at the time, and expected a view of the event like you would get watching any B-grade space movie of the day.

Unfortunately, the budget didn't include a movie crew standing by on the moon to shoot the landing (heh-heh)
      Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-26-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post

I was a young child playing with Matchbox die-cast cars on the living room floor while watching the event on TV.

I definitely remember being disappointed by the low-quality video broadcasts as Neil stepped out. As a little one I didn't understand the complications and limitations of technology at the time, and expected a view of the event like you would get watching any B-grade space movie of the day.

Unfortunately, the budget didn't include a movie crew standing by on the moon to shoot the landing (heh-heh)
        I was doing the same thing, my mother let us kids stay home for the launch and landings of the Apollo missions.

Comment

Dad waking me up at the crack of dawn to watch liftoff's, never forget that smell of hash he made,yuuch! got a transscript of all the Apollo misisons here some where. i used to tell a kid at work to call me on the radio when the pizza got there" the eagle has landed"
          but he had no clue so i had to print it out for him....

Comment

Being only 2 years old, apparantely I was home with a sitter because my parents were tired from raising a 2 year old and went camping!!

Comment

Man, I cant remember. I know where I was when Kennedy was shot.....

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                Oh wow... I remember it well... I was a bass player then, went up to Bellingham WA to play in a big "jam" session with a bunch of other musicians, was a benefit for the local hippie... newspaper, or some other good cause... was all of seventeen years old I think, might have just turned eighteen... I remember it well because, I got laid by the hostess of the house that we stayed in.... then she and her friend gave me and my fellow musician (also got laid by the other hostess of the house) a ride back to Olympia, where I lived at the time. Only had a POS B&W TV at me and my dad's place in Lacy, WA.. so, that's what I watched it on later in the day after getting the ride home from the happy ladies... how do I know they were happy you ask??

let's just say that... I know...

BeerNazi and I got to meet Neal a few years ago at one of the events at Reno... I understand he was pretty much not into a lot of public attention, but BN REALLY wanted her picture taken with him, and just wanted to tell him how special she thought he was.. he was gracious, we got the picture and got to shake his hand... man... talk about big one's, made of bronze.. these space guys, even now, they got balls! (the women too!!) Talk about where do you pull over when something goes wrong!!!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally Posted by AirDOGGe

I had just turned 6 yrs old, Sheppard AFB, North TX, Officers housing duplex, living room floor, lying on stomach with head propped up on big pillow, watching on our big black & white. Couldn't tell the footage was grainy because it was always snowy/grainy on the rabbit ears.
                  Had skinned knee, elbow, and forehead from learning to ride my older brother's (waay too big) Schwinn; Also had a bunch of stitches and a brace on my broken left index finger that I snagged on something as I jerked my arm out from under a boulder when the snake I was trying to grab bit me, while out snake hunting at a nearby lake, with the duplex neighbor pilot's family a few days before.
                  For 2 days in a row before the landing, dad had taken me, my older brother, and our dog "Nibbles" out in the back yard after supper. The 3 of us stood there staring at the moon, alternately listening, and asking (lots of) questions while dad explained to us what was about to happen, and why it was so amazing and important. He was soo proud of the country he served...

43 yrs later, I still have the scar on my finger, and I see it every time I'm holding an airplane part or tool; And I think of Neil, Buzz, NASA, and all the young, wondrous, and politically naive hopes that our generation held dear, for progress in our space program, in our generation.

Our sun, Sol, is a third generation star, born of the bodies of earlier suns gone nova. Every atom in our planet, and our bodies is star stuff.
                  I deeply, and intuitively believe that it is our manifest destiny, should we succeed in claiming it, to ultimately return to the stars as sentient beings; I believe that the beautiful mother earth is just our cradle so far.
                  Our living planet, and our species, have survived the cold war doctrine of "Mutually Assured Destruction"; And thanks to the space program, we also now have (limited) capability to survive asteroid collision, so that we don't go the way of the dinosaurs.
                  If one steps back from the immediate perspective of one's individual human life, and realizes the phenomenal, continuing acceleration of technology that we achieve, one should not need to be a rocket scientist to easily realize that it would be a waste, and a shame if each living human generation did not continue to sacrifice at least a significant amount, to continue to build our distant progeny's inherent potential to survive the ultimate destruction of humanity's cradle, and claim the stars, the realm that we came from.

There can be no more pivotal, and poignant moment in the path of our manifest destiny, should we succeed in claiming it, than the moment that Neil Armstrong stood on our cradle's satellite, and made the abiding and true proclamation:

"Thats one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

Thank You Neil, God Speed Sir !!!
                  Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

I was an 11 year old camping at Sequoia park. Our view was a TON of people crowded around a TV at the ranger station. As I was growing up my dad had us up at all hours and home from school for every launch/recovery he could.
                    I got to meet Neil many moons ago at Reno. I was standing at the deadline with tripod and gear when a gentleman came up ans truck up a conversation. We talked for over an hour about racing and things in general. Kept having a nagging feeling I had seen him before but could not place hime. He said he had to go, it was nice talking, put out his hand and said his name was Neil. I asked him "THE Neil?" introduced myself and left him on his way. Very pleasant and unassuming man.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

[QUOTE=AirDOGGe;104047]Where were you when he set foot on the Moon?

"I was a young child playing with Matchbox die-cast cars on the living room floor while watching the event on TV.

I definitely remember being disappointed by the low-quality video broadcasts as Neil stepped out."

I was a 16 years old guy when it happened, and the Matchbox cars were a wreckage everywhere in the house. You make me smile when remembering the low-quality and black & white video. The TV set was a BIGG one, in black and white of course, but nevertheless the event was amazing.

Comment

I was five years old when President Kennedy was shot. I was in first grade and I remember the teachers standing together and crying. They called in the buses and sent us home early.

We watched the moon landing in our living room in Sacramento. I will NEVER forget where I was and the excitement of that accomplishment. I remember my mom letting me stay home to watch the Gemini flights. What a time.

American hero Neil Armstrong, rest in peace. "The Eagle Has Landed".
                        Last edited by Reever; 08-27-2012, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Had just finished my first year of college and was working at D-land. Six months later I joined Uncle Sam on d-water (usn). Really don't recall what I was specifically doing when they touched down.

Although I do vividly remember everything on and around that fateful November day. Was in my jr high chem class when they announced it. The following class was band. We played a very moving and solemn tribute to the fallen president. A new kitchen dining table was delivered to our house that same day and that weekend our family cancelled their plans to see Lawrence of Arabia at the local theatre.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            BeerNazi and I got to meet Neal a few years ago at one of the events at Reno...

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                            I got to meet Neil many moons ago at Reno. I was standing at the deadline with tripod and gear when a gentleman came up ans truck up a conversation...

Ok. That did it. The needle on my envy meter just redlined right into the green zone. That's quite a feather to have in one's cap. I can only pity those who instead reply "Neil who?".

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post
                            Originally Posted by AirDOGGe

I had just turned 6 yrs old, Sheppard AFB, North TX, Officers housing duplex, living room floor, lying on stomach with head propped up on big pillow, watching on our big black & white..

With all the B&W sets mentioned in previous posts, I can honestly say from watching the landing on a 27" color TV that you missed nothing. The telecast from the moon had no color to speak of. I don't know if that was because of the camera type or the harsh lighting. Probably both.

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post
                            ...I deeply, and intuitively believe that it is our manifest destiny, should we succeed in claiming it, to ultimately return to the stars as sentient beings; I believe that the beautiful mother earth is just our cradle so far.

I just hope we achieve enough sentience and intelligence someday to bring dear "mother" back to good health and keep her that way before we go out there and start mucking-up other worlds.

Dang it, Obama!...you had to cancel the new Moon program...I wanted us to go back and do it again while I'm still here.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-27-2012, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                              I was five years old when President Kennedy was shot. I was in first grade and I remember the teachers standing together and crying. They called in the buses and sent us home early.

We watched the moon landing in our living room in Sacramento. I will NEVER forget where I was and the excitement of that accomplishment. I remember my mom letting me stay home to watch the Gemini flights. What a time.

American hero Neil Armstrong, rest in peace. "The Eagle Has Landed".
                              Eagle has landed was by Buzz Aldrin...first man who spoke on the moon in the module.

RIP commander Neil Armstrong.
                              http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's quite a feather to have in one's cap
                                I have been privileged in my life to put myself in the right place at the right time to meet and speak to a lot of my childhood (and adult) "heroes". Sometimes by luck, sometimes with a lot of effort. I won't drop names!
                                Up until I was 6 my dad worked for Lockheed at Ontario. Not any glamorous job but I got to go many times to see his work. Even got to go to Vandenburg once for a launch. My room was covered with pictures of Lockheed planes and rockets, all signed by test pilots and designers, along with a bunch of memorabilia, parts, etc. Unfortunately I lost all of it in my parents very messy divorce when none of it followed me through the moves, and nobody knows where it all went. I figure that is where I get this urge to have photos signed there every year.
                                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X