Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Americas Cup Racing 45' Sailboats Online Live in San Francisco.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Americas Cup Racing 45' Sailboats Online Live in San Francisco.

I was not able to see them live but did watch 2 days worth live online. Do you think it was better to watch them live in person or online?

Originally posted by NOVA View Post
    All of the cats I saw racing yesterday had the solid main wings.

With all the tacking and back and forth around the gates it was pretty difficult to see who was ahead during the race from a spectator standpoint, however it was pretty sweet to see them make the quick turns and accelerate downwind. That alone was worth seeing.

Hydroplanes would be awesome, but I think they would have a tough time finding smooth enough water (at least up here close to SF)

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
      I was not able to see them live but did watch 2 days worth live online. Do you think it was better to watch them live in person or online?
      They both have their advantages. It's cool to see them in person at least once, but you can really watch the action much better on TV. The course is so big and with all the tacking back and forth, seeing them live is basically 20min of being confused and watching a bunch of boats go fast. On TV you can really watch the race play out.

Comment

I believe it is the same boats, known as The Americas Cup Race. It used to be monohulls, then the change occurred to allow catarmarans, which was opposed by court room battles, and allowed.

They will be racing again October 7-13 2012 in SF, then next year July 4-Sept 1, 2013 to SF in 72 foot catarmarans for what is known as the Louis Vuitton Cup and Sept 7-22 in the Americas Cup Finals.

Originally posted by Rampman View Post
        I used to watch the America's Cup races but I lost track about 10 years ago. Is this the same cup that Dennis Conner and Ted Turner went after? Those races were always one on one. I always found the teamwork and technoloy very interesting.

You're right about the speed of the cats. Very cool!
        Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-26-2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X