Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's preventing live web cams at the Races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's preventing live web cams at the Races?

Try contacting them in writing or call and ask to speak to someone who works with planning the event, like Mr. Houghten (the Director/CEO) or Valerie(PR,Press, Community Relations) You would probably get a faster response to a letter than to the website.
    These numbers are posted on the same page as the e-mail contact you used, and the same ones I sent you last year. Good luck.

Reno Air Racing Association
    14501 Mt. Anderson St.
    Reno, NV 89506
    USA

Phone: 775-972-6663
    Fax: 775-972-6429

Office Hours:
    Monday – Friday
    8:00am – 4:30pm

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
      I was polite, brief and to the point, that's what matters.
      I'm kind of astounded here... we've just come from the brink of extinction of the air races, these folks have not only had to deal with the victims of the tragedy, and they have done so quite well, but they have had to scratch for funding and support to make it happen again.. Oh let's not forget, they had to jump through a few FAA and NTSB hoops too...

And you're bitching about.... what????

I personally take offense that you'd "point" them here to read your rant. They do what they can, when they can, that ought to be enough answer for you, particularly, given what I said in paragaraph one...

Geez!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        I'm kind of astounded here... we've just come from the brink of extinction of the air races, these folks have not only had to deal with the victims of the tragedy, and they have done so quite well, but they have had to scratch for funding and support to make it happen again.. Oh let's not forget, they had to jump through a few FAA and NTSB hoops too...

I personally take offense that you'd "point" them here to read your rant. They do what they can, when they can, that ought to be enough answer for you, particularly, given what I said in paragaraph one...

Geez!
        It's called entitlement, Wayne.

In the hydroplanes, they have a primitive webcast at each race site...and at every race people bitch about the fact that 'this is 2012, it should be....xxx.....xxx...."

Somehow they overlook the fact that it's kind of a privilege to have that, not a right.

Comment

Fixed Webcams looking over a pool, or looking across a city are alot easier to set up and maintain than trying to locate 10-20 webcams across a 9+ mile circut, NASCAR does 4 cams per track and they are generally on the ovals which when the biggest oval is 2.5 miles there is a lot less required of the transmission to get to the broadcast server and on to the web.
          You could't run wireless cams at Reno due to the interferance of radio channels, and also if the cameras were wired, even with high speed data there would be 100 miles of cable to run from each camera site to a hub and then onto the server. To do such a thing, while an excellent idea, would be a major undertaking, both financially and logistically. especially as you would have to have the broadcast servers located away from the course, plus dont forget the F1, Biplane, T6 and Sport classes use a shorter course than the jets and unlimiteds, so there would need to be cameras for each of those courses, this equals more cable which is more expensive, plus the output of the webcam's would need to be highly compressed to move it to the servers fast enough to not be super slow refresh rates.. again more expense, plus as you compress data it loses quality.
          Yes, you can buy a full HD webcam for you home computer and it transmits data at a good rate, but it travels from camera to computer in distances of inches to feet, not 100's of yards to miles, the Data capacity would have to be massive.
          The idea, while it has merits, would need major planning and real deep pockets to achieve.
          My 2 cents into the argument, and i hope its a logical couple of cents
          Last edited by kiwiracefan; 08-16-2012, 11:45 PM. Reason: correcting grammar
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post

Geez!
            Well said Wayne, why point them here to see a repeated rant? i cant get to the races and i live way the heck down here in NZ, im offended as well, the organizing committee have done an amazing job to be even ALLOWED to race this year after the tragedy of last year, so to even think about something that is pretty inconsequential in the scheme of things is pretty bad. (see my above post for a couple of hopefully well explained reasons why its not practically possible)
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Kiwifan, I was thinking web cams in the pit areas and hangers that could be zoomed in and out. Those could be connected by wire. Doable and affordable yes?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                Kiwifan, I was thinking web cams in the pit areas and hangers that could be zoomed in and out. Those could be connected by wire. Doable and affordable yes?
                SvD... please read pm....
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Gentlemen Enough. Lets just be happy that we have the races this year. Maybe the people that want the web cams could do it themselves during the races instead of watching them live. They could set it up in a Sani-Hut to operate & monitor them while doing their business thereby getting 2 things done at once. Wayne have a cold one & relax. You are doing a great service to us all.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X