Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mars Spacecraft Curiosity landing Sunday 10:30pm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mars Spacecraft Curiosity landing Sunday 10:30pm.

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
    Curious AirDogge, in general, How and Where did you find such information on the picture quality? I made no attempt to search for it, but I did search youtube hoping to find something and found nothing.

Youtube is too limited. Many videos and/or topics are not available there. GOOGLE is a better tool to search with.

However, I just stumbled across the info while searching for good stuff to read at Air & Space Smithsonian, one of my favorite magazines.

I also found good information at (where else?) the official JPL rover website at: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/mission/overview/

Here's the full Air&Space article where I found the original camera info;

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-09-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
      Youtube is too limited. Many videos and/or topics are not available there. GOOGLE is a better tool...
      I agree in every way. -But- I still post youtube links on occasion for the simple and important reason that I know my links stand a good chance of still being accessible years from now when someone is trying to read this whole BLESSED site like I did when I started here.
      Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        Ya'll know Veektor is up there tending to his time share.. be patient...
        Ya B@atards broke my favorite tree....

Who's gonna pay for it...
        Attached Files
        http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I knew NASA should have been more careful where they dropped that heat shield. Sorry Victor. Better file a claim.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that NASA has uploaded and released their high resolution version of the landing video. It certainly is sharper than the early thumbnail copy.

LINK: http://www.space.com/17242-curiosity...ion-video.html

At the end they show a short close-up clip of the heat shield hitting the ground, and apparently pulverizing Victor's prized tree in the process.

Comment

Anyone know what the altitude the heat shield was dropped, what altitude the rockets fired, or how fast it was traveling when all this occurred? I counted 40 seconds from the heat shield deployment until the rockets turn off.

Comment

Just use Google and do a little reading, and the information presents itself. I found some of your answers at "Popular Mechanics", of all sites.

I believe there were a few Y-tube videos providing such info in the naration as well.

Here's a portion of the popular mechanics article:

This is the largest planetary spacecraft ever flown. This thing is almost 3.5 tons entering the atmosphere. We're doing a "guided entry." Previous missions have gone in on what we call a ballistic entry, maintaining the same attitude and just flying through the atmosphere. Drag slows the spacecrafts down and they land where they land. We're different with MSL in that we go in and are able to sort of surf through the atmosphere. If the spacecraft senses it's going to overfly the target, it can steer itself to fly lower in the atmosphere where it's more dense. If it feels like it's falling short of our target, it'll surf a little bit higher. Without doing guided entry we wouldn't be able to have a landing footprint small enough to get in Gale Crater.

MSL also has the largest parachute that we've ever flown. This parachute is over 60 feet in diameter. It barely fit in the wind tunnel when we were testing it. Obviously, the Sky Crane is brand new, but every single one of these technologies is all built upon previous missions. For example, guided entries were done by the Apollo program and Space X and Dragon. We're now bringing that same technology to interplanetary missions for the first time.

After we've entered the atmosphere at around 13,000 miles per hour, drag slows us down enough to deploy a parachute at about seven miles up. But the chute can only slow us to about 200 miles per hour. At that point we need to use rocket power to slow the rest of the way. We built what we call the descent stage, but it's just a glorified jetpack. The rover wears this eight-rocket engine jetpack on its back.

The heat shield separates from the bottom at about five miles up, and radar starts gathering altitude data. Then, about a mile off the surface, the rover and jetpack drop free from the parachute. The rocket engines light and slow the rover down to just under two miles per hour. At about 60 feet above the surface, we begin the Sky Crane maneuver.

If I recall previous readings correctly, the supersonic parachute opens at around 1000 mph.

You can see video of the full size parachute being deployment-tested at a lower speed in the full-scale wind tunnel at NASA Ames, just a couple of miles from my home:

(Deployment occurs around the 52-second mark)
              [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ola9cG3RgOM&feature=related[/YT]
              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-23-2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X