Sport Class News?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sport Class News?

Quoted "one of the worlds fastest Lancairs" from a reliable source... Guess we will have to see
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      Quoted "one of the worlds fastest Lancairs" from a reliable source... Guess we will have to see
      "I love smacktalk in August.. it smells like..... Air Racing!"

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post

Amen to that!! ........gettin SO excited!!!

Comment

Here is #21's speed; this is the highest speed I have ever seen from Alan Crawford.

Pumpkin Time Trial Results:

Pilot Aircraft Speed
          (MPH)

Alan Crawford Lancair Legacy 293.20

Here is another normally aspired Legacy flown by Lee Behel:

Sport Qualifying 9/10/2008 9:06 AM 5 "Breathless"
          L2K Lancair Legacy 5
          Lap 1:
          1 01:13.373— 343.411 MPH

One more to make my point. Race #2 flown by Vince Walker:

"Modo Mio"
          L2K Lancair Legacy 3 6 08:18.524 309.402 MPH

This does not include any of the Turbocharged Legacys, so I don't think that Alan's #21 is even close to being "one of the fastest"
          Last edited by georgiacub; 08-07-2012, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
            Just a minor correction, there is no race 351 anymore. Race 351 was Blue Thunder (I). Blue Thunder II is 352. But we all know what you meant.
            I knew that...

Not sure why I didn't include 39 & 44. Sorry Jeff and Lynn
            Sky Critter

Comment

#21 isn't owned by Alan anymore so... I guess you havent seen it in a while either to know it's not normally aspirated
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Who owns #21 and who is going to fly it. Is Alan not going to race then?

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post

There's a sport class at Reno?

Comment

I do know that #21 was a normally aspired airplane at this year's PRS. To change the engine to become the worlds fastest Legacy in less than 2 months leaves me somewhat questioning the truthfulness of your report. (:

Comment

Maybe we are talking 2 different planes because the 21 I know is owned by Dennis Stutes. Look in 2007 race program also. And it looks like it has the same cowling as 44 so they are probably going to be running about the same..
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Can someone throw in a pic of #21 from prs to help settle the debate???
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Race #21 is now assigned to Alan Crawford and it is a normally aspired Lancair Legacy.

Dennis Stutes was assigned that race number at one time. Dennis has not completed PRS and so can't fly at Reno. The one year the airplane did race it was flown by Dave Morss.

I believe Dennis has said that the only way his plane will race at Reno again is if he is the one flying it.

Where did you get the idea Dennis' airplane was going to race this year? Did Dennis change his mind?

I agree his plane is fast.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                            Can someone throw in a pic of #21 from prs to help settle the debate???
                            Here's a link to one from this year's PRS:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

See the first photo in reply #19.

Just found another in that same thread in post #36:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

And about 15 seconds of video of Race 21 beginning at the :44 second mark of this video:

So, it doesn't appear to have the intercooler fairings produced by AeroChia, but that doesn't mean it isn't turbocharged. Here's a link to AeroChia's turbo mods:

But if you'll notice the different the Race 21 on this page - are we talking about the same airplane? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion:

I think GeorgiaCub has it right.
                            Last edited by FlyKidChris; 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

According to www.sportclass.com, Alan Crawford's Legacy race 21 is powered by an IO-550 (no turbo) and he'll be racing for the first time (at Reno) this year.
                              Sky Critter

Comment

Totally different plane and yes Georgiacub we are both very knowledgeable with our sport planes but Im already saying too much but I'm with Dennis' Lancair everyday and it just got painted last week for whatever reason that may be...
                                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                                X