Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is a Safety Net not available at the end of the runways at Stead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why is a Safety Net not available at the end of the runways at Stead?

Big Jim

Your comment about the history of runway accidents at Reno might suggest that pilot error was the cause of Mike Loening's fairly dramatic runway incident in 1971. Yes he was running out of runway due to blowing his engine, had no flaps, was forced to land downwind and land hot. But the damage to his Mustang was caused by veering off the runway and unfortunately running over a concrete VASI box. And his decision to get off the runway was based on Bob Hoover letting him know he was running out of concrete. If the VASI box hadn't been there, probably a different story - something along the lines of a successful emergency landing. Not so sure a lot of pilot error there given the circumstances.

Comment

Re: Why is a Safety Net not available at the end of the runways at Stead?

Originally posted by tim View Post
      Quite right.
      The single point of information I have on safety nets was watching the Bridges at Toko Ri. As I recall the "safety" was really for the people on the other side of the net. I think they parked a tractor on the other side as well, just to be sure. The time required to set up the net was pretty long as well.
      When carriers had straight decks it was a necessity. It was raised for a landing then lowered and you were taxing over it to park or lowered on an elevator below. It was the last point to stop you. There are many photos of Seafires with the MLG and wheels flying through the air as splinters of the prop fly. It causes major damage to prevent catastrophe.
      The worse case issues for the Reno emergency landings usually involve making a portion of a runway or a flat area to land. Emergencies are very fluid but it is up to the pilot to judge things and act accordingly.
      I think the safety record is decent and a barrier isn't going to improve things.

Comment

Working...
      X