Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So...What about STREGA???

Agree. (hence the wink and big grin smileys in my post FuryFan),

That said, what got me thinking about it when I read your own tongue in cheek joke post though; is that when I was going thru the (recip) power-plant semester at A&P school towards the end of the 3 yrs I just finished, I was going back and forth between the "ASA" textbooks our program was officially using, and "Jeppeson" textbooks to clarify things for myself.
    And although I can't remember which said which at the moment, one of the two did actually refer to the "fork & blade" arrangement (as implemented in the Merlins, Allisons, etc.) as a "master and articulated rod pairing".
    Its all just semantics anyway, but I can understand their rationale though, because the blade rod does indeed articulate on the O.D. bearing surface of the common big end bearing, which is clamped immobile in both sides of the forked rod bearing caps, (according to that textbook at least).
    At the time, I remember thinking to myself that they were really trying to feed me that hogwash just to keep terminology standardized with the (much more common) radials, where rods that are'nt articulated, are master rods period.

Picture me with smoke coming out of my ears for 3 yrs straight, just trying to figure out which meaningless definitions the FAA test questions would arbitrarily agree with!

Cheers, Chuck
    Last edited by C_roundy; 07-09-2012, 12:33 AM.
    Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Could they also have a tire rotation switch problem where they can't switch to counter-clockwise rotation for backing the plane into a parking place in the pits & where would they locate it?
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
        Could they also have a tire rotation switch problem where they can't switch to counter-clockwise rotation for backing the plane into a parking place in the pits & where would they locate it?
        Sounds like a wheel bearing is making metal.

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
          I remember reading that on some RR v-12 they used a master/slave setup for opposing cylinders with one rod mounted directly to the rod journal and the opposing cylinder slave rod attached to the beam of the "master rod". Apparently the reliability of this configuration went down when developing higher output designs.......Getting off topic...sorta.

Kevin
          I wonder which RR engine used that setup- the Vulture maybe? I know it was a reliability nightmare. Some Cooper-Bessemer fixed diesel engines used a connecting rod system like you describe, and since the General Electric 7FDL locomotive engine is a derivative of an old Cooper-Bessemer it carried on with that system. I think the new GEVO engines use conventional offset rods, but there are a whole lot of FDLs out there still running the rails, powering ships, pumping water, etc.

Here is a GE 7FDL master/articulated rod assembly for those who are having trouble visualizing what we're talking about:
          The connecting rods for a GE locomotive with a FDL engine

Note: the clamp halfway up on the master rod is just to hold the assembly to the display stand.

Comment

Could the problem be with the anti anti-clockwise rotation defeater switch? I believe that switch is one and the same as found on certain Chrysler hemi engines used years ago...

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              Sounds like a wheel bearing is making metal.
              Pilot's squawk to mechanic: Lost a wheel bearing, its making funny noises.

Mechanic's response in log book: Located wheel bearing after a brief search, gave it a good talkin' to, told it to go back to its room, warned it to straighten up, be serious, and fly Right........
              Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
                I remember reading that on some RR v-12 they used a master/slave setup for opposing cylinders with one rod mounted directly to the rod journal and the opposing cylinder slave rod attached to the beam of the "master rod". Apparently the reliability of this configuration went down when developing higher output designs.......Getting off topic...sorta.

Kevin
                I'd need to look up for others but I know the R engine for the Schneider Contest races originally had fork-and-blade but switched to master/articulated. The 1929 version had the fork-and-blade. As RR increased the power for the 1931 version they had issues with the rods and switched to the master/articulated. It was a switch out of necessity, they preferred fork-and-blade.

I think most, if not all, of their other engine did not change. Early engines like the Eagle and Falcon had master/articulated. Later engines like the Condor and Kestrel had fork-and-blade.

The Vulture used what RR referred to as a "star" connecting rod (basically master/articulated). Picture the big-end being a square and from one corner is a fixed "master" rod. From the other three corners are articulated rods.
                Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

As an avid air race fan, and one who only wants to learn from the actions of others, no mater how trivial those actions might be…
                  I DEMAND to know WHO the heck left the cowl flaps in the WRONG positions, have apology letters been sent, is his (or her) hair on fire (or just really red)? Is that the DIRECT cause of the bearing failure in the wheel, or was it someone in the telemetry trailer transmitting on the wrong frequency? Any pilot should know to NOT shift the plane into reverse with out first disengaging the auto-retract switch.
                  BY GOD WE ARE FANS!!!! We demand to know!!!
                  (humor intended)

Comment

Working...
                  X