Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1/32 Model Unlimited Racers

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
    would it make you feel better if I under paid you?
    LOL.....probably not but I have no idea what they're worth.

Just out of curiosity (and only curiosity), if you could have a model of any unlimited, which one would it be?

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky View Post
      Very nice work! Love the Super Corsair. Was that the old monogram kit?
      Sure is that old POS kit dated from the 70's. I normally go for the old cheap kits on ebay since i'm going to be chopping them up anyway. However, the 40 year plastic was so brittle on this kit, I wasted too much time restoring it.

How could you tell? No flaps?

Comment

Originally posted by DWYER View Post
        One word "WOW"!!! Great work you are one talented individual. I'm jealous.

Good word for sure!
        Thank you very much, you are very kind!

Comment

Originally posted by DOC.129 View Post

Just out of curiosity (and only curiosity), if you could have a model of any unlimited, which one would it be?

Brian
          Miss RJ. She was gorgeous in the white paint scheme. 2nd would be when Balz acquired her and re-painted it as Roto-Finish Special. Such a beautiful airplane.

Comment

LOL.....probably not but I have no idea what they're worth.

Brian

Tough question.

If I had to choose just one, I think I would go with Miss Ashley II as it would be the hardest one to get/build.

2nd choice would be the Rare Bear in its 91-92 Scheme

Comment

232 Started as a Hobbycraft but I used quite a bit of Fisher parts to complete it. RB is 99% Fisher, can't take any credit for that one.

flyingjibus- No, I've never thought of building one for $$. I just build them for my own enjoyment. Building them to sell would probably drive me crazy trying to get the quality to a level worthy of selling.
              The Fisher kit is suwheeeeet. Expensive, but worth it. Limited run kit, and I don't know how many are left. The perfectionist in me needed to make several 'modifications' to the kit (rear props are too long, spinner is too pointy and needs to be reshaped, top of the tail is not tall enough, exhaust stacts are too long, needed to change the upper engine cowl intake, and add a ventral fin, etc.) to get it just right, but it's a great $250 'starter kit'. :-) Very long term project for me too and in no hurry to finish (plus, Missie will kill me if I finish this kit before his 1/32 Strega). But I chose to do mine in the 1976 version flown by Mac McClain and the winner at Mojave.

Like I said...long term project, but it's gonna rock when it's finished. I already have a spot on the shelf for 'best in show' trophy from my local IPMS group!
              Attached Files

Comment

I like those choices and will definitley end up building RJ and Roto at some point but I have to agree with flyingjibus, Miss Ashley II was a work of art, one of the most amazing planes I've ever seen. I'm 28 so I never got a chance to see some of my favorite unlimiteds but I remeber seeing Ashley II as a young kid and thinking it was the coolest thing I ever saw and, still is.

I've actually started working on Ashley II but am hung up in a few spots- almost every part on this model is going to be from scratch.

I plan to start the Bear soon ('95 three-blade prop)

Comment

Jim, that thing already rocks, that thing is rad! Amazing work!

I love how you used a $250 kit as your starter kit...

Comment

All right guys, here's my collection of 1/32 scale reno racers I've been working on for the last year. This is how I've been spending the offseason and getting my fix when I'm not getting updates from aafo. I started with the Ghost right after it happened as more of a therapeutic build and I guess it snowballed from there. Now I'm hooked on building my collection of my favorite racers and I don't see it stopping anytime soon. With all the custom work that goes into each one, finding the time is the biggest challenge. I have four other projects going right now- Critical Mass, Miss Ashley II, Precious Metal, and Dago (all in 1/32). The Bear and Voodoo and maybe Sumthing Else is next... I know they're not perfect but it's the best I can do so go easy on me.

I've been secretly admiring the amazing work of Big Jim and Xmwrench (that 1/24 Ghost Wrench did was a work of art).

Thanks for looking!

Brian Brunetti
                    I built a 1/32 scale fantasy racer a few years ago......a Bf-109K at Reno would be cool!
                    Attached Files
                    "I'd keep playing.....I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while now"

Comment

Woops! not the 163!
                      "I'd keep playing.....I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while now"

Comment

Here's the photo I meant to attach!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hastings View Post
                          Here's the photo I meant to attach!
                          That is really cool. I did a 1/48 SeaFire (Griffon powered ) with clipped wings and the radiators removed from the wings. Oh the fun one can have with models, even though you will never see one like it race. A racing ME109 would be super cool.

Will

Comment

Thanks RAD2LTR! I'd like to see that model!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hastings View Post
                              Thanks RAD2LTR! I'd like to see that model!
                              My Seafire isn't nearly as good as your ME109. I can't say I'm good at modifying kits, and this one has some rough edges so to say. I'll shoot a few pics this evening if I have a monent. I've got an entertaining air race being played out, a pair of clipped wing F4Us, the Seafire, a Seafury, a Bearcat, a Tigercat, P51, another stock Seafire as well as an early Sptifire, and bringing up the rear is a Black Widow. If the shot is taken from the right angle it looks like the whole mess is flying into a poster from the first Phoenix 500 air races.

Will

Comment

Working...
                              X