Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Course......

Originally posted by gp70442 View Post
    A new wing can be considered a major mod I would think. Where do they draw the line on "mods"?
    A good question, for sure... I'd only ask that we don't let anyone use this website as reference material.........
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
      If the course is shorter and one flies a shorter course at the same speed as the longer course, the g's will go up. It's simple physics.
      Which brings us back to the previous question -- why?

If Gs were one of the points of concern with the NTSB, then why make the course shorter?

If they wanted to soften the pylon 6 to pylon 3 arc of the course (presumably to reduce the Gs on the turn as the racers are pointing their nose through the stands?), then the answer is to make the course longer.

More unloaded straightaway time means less G and thus less stress on the pilots overall. Having spent a lot of time in high G turns, both in short and long duration, I can vouch that the long and sustained G tires you out a hell of a lot more than the short-duration-but-high-intensity spikes of G loading.

Since there were several racers involved apparently in the redrawing of the course, perhaps they could chime in with some of the factors involved in the redesign?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
        Which brings us back to the previous question -- why?

If Gs were one of the points of concern with the NTSB, then why make the course shorter?

If they wanted to soften the pylon 6 to pylon 3 arc of the course (presumably to reduce the Gs on the turn as the racers are pointing their nose through the stands?), then the answer is to make the course longer.

That would be like trying to put a gallon of beer in a half-gallon-size glass.

How does one make the course longer with such a limited amount of space to do so? The course is surrounded by private property, and I don't think anyone is interested in selling cheap to the RARA for track expansion reasons.

At least that was the impression I got from the owner of the land beneath the "fenceline" area. He wants to develop that area, but is fighting water issues.

As such, the course getting shorter is just an uncontrollable after-effect of softening the turns, and not an intentional act. There's not much else they can do about it, short of re-locating the track entirely.

Comment

I have to stand behind the decisions that have been made. And at the end of the day, we're going racing...at Reno! What more can we ask?

Joseph

Comment

2012 Unlimited

Has anyone here heard anything about this years race? The NTSB set some pretty hi bars and a pilot friend of my, whose hanger is on the west side row of SPARKY hasn't heard anything....

I don't think the races are going past this year.

j

Comment

Re: 2012 Unlimited

Originally posted by hudsonjeffattne View Post
              Has anyone here heard anything about this years race? The NTSB set some pretty hi bars and a pilot friend of my, whose hanger is on the west side row of SPARKY hasn't heard anything....

I don't think the races are going past this year.

j
              Welcome to the hangar Jeff... haven't heard anything yet? Well, you're new here so, we'll forgive you that. The races are ON this year, and the same force of nature that has kept them going on for the past half century (almost) is still in place and going strong.

This thing is bigger than any of us, it has a depth of emotion and support that is almost hard to fathom. Buy your tickets and book your hotel rooms in downtown Reno, NV or wherever your preference to stay, might as well book for next year too. We Race Airplanes In Reno In September!

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I would love to be there this year but will watch it on the interwebs if there is a feed to it again.

I have the utmost confidence that this will happen for years to come.

Next year when the races turn 50, I dream of a gathering that rivals that of any other event in the world.

THAT will be the one to attend!!
                John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

Re: 2012 Unlimited

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  Welcome to the hangar Jeff... haven't heard anything yet? Well, you're new here so, we'll forgive you that. The races are ON this year, and the same force of nature that has kept them going on for the past half century (almost) is still in place and going strong.

This thing is bigger than any of us, it has a depth of emotion and support that is almost hard to fathom. Buy your tickets and book your hotel rooms in downtown Reno, NV or wherever your preference to stay, might as well book for next year too. We Race Airplanes In Reno In September!

Hi!

Sorry, I should have been more specific about my question. To date, as far as I know, Brant Seghetti (Sparky) is the only unlimited pilot to make the June 22 deadline. I do know that the races are on, I've had my tickets for three weeks or so now. Also, in the past the RARA website had the list of who signed up and, since I couldn't find it anywhere this year I came here to see what info was out there. I also heard last night that RARA is planning some sort of permanent memorial but it *might* not be ready for September.

j

Comment

Working...
                  X