Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I give up, is Reno on for '12?

Originally posted by JetsareforKids View Post
    I give up, I'm still not sure if Reno will happen this year or not. After the accident, my guess was it was over. I love air racing as much as anybody, but the very small group of high net worth folks who race must have taken a second look at the sport even if the sponsors hold the race in 2012. I haven't heard much (anything) from them if they will race even if the races happen this September. Is there anyone out there who is connected to any of the airplanes that has any insight on who will be there this September if the races are held?
    If we do have a race this year I will be there, and for the first time bring my young family. If there is a race to see, I'll be sure they don't miss it.
    Oh yeah....It Is ON!!!!

Comment

So as I see it:
      Rare Bear
      Strega
      Furias
      Czechmate

Anyone else? I can say right now that if these planes are there, that is a race I will have to see. Obviously Rare Bear will win, but the race for second should be good. Anyone have any insight on the other Unlimiteds? If there is anyone who can confirm any other airplanes, there has got to be hundreds if not thousands of fans like me who are very interested in your plans for September. The night of the accident last year I thought Reno was finished for sure, now it looks like I might have been wrong.

Also, what is up with Czechmate? Did it get a wing repair, a new wing, or (hopefully) a new wing with a new airfoil. Lets be honest, Czechmate is a very fast airplane with a wing designed for a slow airplane. I've always thought that with a new wing it could be one of the fastest airplanes on the course. If it also got a set of landing gear long enough for more prop, it would be the fastest of them all.

Comment

Also, what is up with Czechmate? Did it get a wing repair, a new wing, or (hopefully) a new wing with a new airfoil. Lets be honest, Czechmate is a very fast airplane with a wing designed for a slow airplane. I've always thought that with a new wing it could be one of the fastest airplanes on the course. If it also got a set of landing gear long enough for more prop, it would be the fastest of them all.
        I hear rumors flying around about Czech Mate getting a new custom-designed NASA-grade airfoil, but no definite confirmations. LD Hughes' wife confirmed that the little Yak will be racing, so that's one plus
        "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

If this rumor is true, it could be a game changer for the Gold. Now if this actually is going to happen by September, it must be fairly close to finished. Anyone out there have any intel?

Comment

All right,
            2027 views and no one knows if Czech Mate is going Clark-Y, or something fast for the wing repair?

Comment

All right,
              2027 views and no one knows if Czech Mate is going Clark-Y, or something fast for the wing repair?
              I asked the same question a couple months ago and it got nothing but absolute quiet in response. It was as if I had accidentally caused the heat death of the whole universe with a couple of keystrokes.

I realize that the reason may just be that team Smootster may not have been ready to talk about their improvements in Smoot Scoot-age yet at the time, but I became instantly hopeful again when you reiterated the question because I too am still curious.

Sooo, . is anybody at liberty to fill us in? anybody?
              Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

It's a supercritical airfoil similar to the NASA F-8 X-plane with the inverted curve wing. The Douglas bunch used it in modified form on the MD-80 for mid-Mach cruise efficiency.
                Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                  It's a supercritical airfoil similar to the NASA F-8 X-plane with the inverted curve wing. The Douglas bunch used it in modified form on the MD-80 for mid-Mach cruise efficiency.
                  Chris...
                  Chris, Outstanding Sir! Thank you for responding! This is exciting news indeed!

Looking back across six and a half decades of NASA X plane research projects, the series of supercritical airfoils that emerged from the testing they did back in the early 70's with that modified TF-8A Crusader directly changed the paradigm of aerodynamic design for the whole mid-subsonic aviation industry more than any other project I can think of.
                  Not long after the efficiency increase that the supercritical wing section incorporated in the MD-80 was proven to the corporate world, slowly everyone started using them, they are just about universal now. Not just on very high subsonics, and you don't have to sweep the wing to reap the advantages either; if anything, it just becomes more crucial to efficiency that you do use an S-section if the wing is un-swept.

-Example: the Boeing C-17 is optimized to cruise at only 450 knots, and it employs a supercritical (set) of airfoils. That's suspiciously similar to the speed range that an NCAR Unlimited Gold racing airplane designer's brain ought to be wired for don't ya think!

Yeah, sure the commercial and military aviation world has reaped billions of dollars in fuel savings with Supercritical airfoils in the last few decades, but thats, umm, BORING! Its about time someone in recip / prop racing got our attention well enough to pull our heads up from re-bondo-ing thousands of rivet heads for the hundredth time, to get one more magic percentage point of efficiency, and showed us the ca-hones' to make one of the few fundamental aerodynamic changes left for our beloved form of racing to take advantage of, that really does substantially raise the bar all by itself.

I can hardly wait to see this reborn hotrod perform, Salute Team Czech Mate!

P.S. here's a couple links for anyone that wants to read about the early research with NASA's patented supercritical airfoils.

Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

So as I see it:
                    Rare Bear
                    Strega
                    Furias
                    Czechmate

Anyone else? I can say right now that if these planes are there, that is a race I will have to see. Obviously Rare Bear will win, but the race for second should be good. Anyone have any insight on the other Unlimiteds? If there is anyone who can confirm any other airplanes, there has got to be hundreds if not thousands of fans like me who are very interested in your plans for September. The night of the accident last year I thought Reno was finished for sure, now it looks like I might have been wrong.

Obviously Rare Bear will win? The only way RB wins is if someone steals the engine out of Strega....

Comment

Does anyone have pictures of Czech Mate being prepped?

On another note, I knew it was only a matter of time before people started fighting on this thread about who will win....let's be happy we have our races this year and just cheer on our teams instead of trying to make everyone that doesn't pull for an inline/radial feel like an idiot.
                      -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
                        Does anyone have pictures of Czech Mate being prepped?

On another note, I knew it was only a matter of time before people started fighting on this thread about who will win....let's be happy we have our races this year and just cheer on our teams instead of trying to make everyone that doesn't pull for an inline/radial feel like an idiot.
                        Lighten up Lenny...my comment was said in jest as was the statement about RB winning....you've never joked around with anyone before?

Comment

Would I like to see RB win? Yes. Is it a definite? No. I personally think it will come down to the Witch and the Bear. Those two have the best chance this year. Should be interesting to watch...amd I'll enjoy watching in person for the first time...my first NCAR
                          -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Not if sherms little monster shows up, he has been beating on the heels of all those high dollar teams now for years on stock hp , so if the wing is done and some engine stuff done , my money is on the little underdog

Comment

I've always been a fan of CM. Always been right there with the hard-chargers, just never seemed to have that little extra bit to get out front and stay there.
                              It would be very cool to see it out front beating the "unbeatables" (well, per some on this forum) just by being small and clean.
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

(trash-talk) By the time the Bear takes the checkers, Steve-o and the Witch will be in another time zone. Strega RULES!!!

Let the games begin.............

Comment

Working...
                                X