• Show
Clear All

Re: A Bit of Chino

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    Oh look....it's Stiletto.
    We all spent the weekend referring to it as: "Butterknife."

Comment

Re: Clay and the Lear, I understand it is not for everybody.

It is very nostalgaic for me, reminds of me when I was blessed to see Bob Hoover flying the Shrike and the Sabreliner and Old Yeller - it is a totally different kind of aerobatic flying because of the precision required to fly within the standard/utility category limits. Very graceful and purposeful.

Now don't get me wrong, I love watching Sean in the Challenger III, and Rob in the Zlin, even Tim Webber in the MX2 - and that is the kind of flying I am training for right now - but watching that old Learjet boogey around gracefully, with smoke trailing, just takes me back.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        I had the privilege of meeting Sean D. Tucker several years ago...and quite honestly, in this day and age of 'cookie cutter' aerobatic routines, he is the one and only act I will stop and put down whatever I'm doing and watch.

Cool factoid about him...he was prone to violent air sickness, so he taught himself aerobatics as a way to acclimate his body to flying. I'd say he did pretty darn well.
        That was the first time I had seen him fly in person as well. Very impressive to say the least. I just wish I had half the energy he has. I have never met anyone that is wound quite that tight all the dang time.

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead View Post
          What? No thanks for the dirty F-4? Sheesh!

Oh, the P-40. Here you go a quick walk-around, clutter and all...
          Ooooooohhhhhh... ouch. Admittedly I was so blinded by the beauty of the P-40B that I did not even notice the twin blow-dryer with its bits hanging down. But yes, thank you Rob. You know how I love taking an aerodynamic beauty of a plane (yes I am talking F-4, I love 'em) only to have all that bulky stuff in the shot. It is the aerial equivalent of a tow bar, feet, or a trash can in a static shot.

But the P-40B... wow! I'm about to kick my wife out and ask the P-40B to move in; I hope it likes short, bald, grumpy men. Thank you for the photos of it, and thank you all for sharing your Chino photos for the rest of us.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
            But the P-40B... wow! I'm about to kick my wife out and ask the P-40B to move in;
            I wanted to lick it, but people kept pulling me back.

Comment

Rob, I was wondering what that smuge mark on the tire was.

The dirty F4 was a treat. I don't know what other planes can have so much crap hanging off of them and still fly.

Here's a few more from my collection.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ken from PG; 05-16-2012, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead View Post
                We all spent the weekend referring to it as: "Butterknife."
                Ouch. Sometimes the truth hurts though. Diamondback is a beautiful airplane, but Stiletto was far more impressive. (What can I say, I like scoopless P51s )

Will

Comment

Working...
                X