Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Flock" of C-130s into Moffett Field today

Originally posted by Mystical Power View Post
    I was boots on the ground at Ke San that was to be the Dien Biein Fu defeat of the USMC by the NVA. The runway was metal and dirt. The re-supply was mostly parachute extracted pallets from C-130's. The base was in was in the bottom of a velley between two mountain ranges infested with 105's. The 130's pilots that re-suplied us all deserved Disquined Fying Crosses or the MOH.

Sgt. Thaomas Campau 2118627 USMC
    For what you and others have done, we owe you much...Sgt. Campau, it is my humble honor to call you friend.

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
      It's funny that my Dad had to be half drunk to get on a commercial airliner, but he would take a ride to hell and back on herky pig just for the fun of it!
      I've never flown on a Herk but always feel more comfortable on something "smaller" than a modern jetliner.

Prolly a fairly sane reaction by your dad.
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I never thought second that I wouldn't end up where I was supposed to when I hopped on a 130. I was never on the upside down version but I sure would like to go for a ride on one.
        Last edited by Ken from PG; 04-29-2012, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Man, I hope they never close Moffett. 2 F-18s came in today in formation, the wingman just off the right wing of the lead.

After overflying the runway they broke into their hard left turn to the downwind leg together, but after completing 90 degrees of the turn the wingman broke off and took a wider route to make some room between them for landing.

Made my day.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
            Man, I hope they never close Moffett. 2 F-18s came in today in formation, the wingman just off the right wing of the lead.

Made my day.
            DID see that.........looked pretty sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post

After overflying the runway they broke into their hard left turn to the downwind leg together, but after completing 90 degrees of the turn the wingman broke off and took a wider route to make some room between them for landing.

Made my day.
              There are also 2 V-22 Ospreys at Moffett right now. My 14 year old daughter saw them fly in Friday (her school is about 10 miles out but in line with the runway) and, while not knowing what they were, knew enough to tell us something different flew in. There's hope for the youth!

Comment

Originally posted by rahill View Post
                There are also 2 V-22 Ospreys at Moffett right now. My 14 year old daughter saw them fly in Friday (her school is about 10 miles out but in line with the runway) and, while not knowing what they were, knew enough to tell us something different flew in. There's hope for the youth!

Thanx for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye open for 'em.

I saw one late last summer making low and fast circuits over Moffett and NASA with rotors tilted full-forward, but nothing of that nature seen this year (yet).

I was letting my dog swim in a creek that runs along the western border of the base when I heard an unfamiliar sound, looked up and to my left and saw said Osprey emerged from behind some trees on the opposite side of the creek in a hard left turn and flying low. It passed directly overhead and quickly disappeared behind the same row of trees to my right.

This was me a fraction of a second later:

That very exciting moment was the only V-22 tilt-rotor I have ever seen live. Up until now I had only witnesses the smaller XV-15 making test flights and airshow performances in my hometown skies. That was a good day indeed.

P.S....Glad to hear about your kid. The world needs all the aviation enthusiasts it can get. Keep up the good 'parenting'.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 04-30-2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

The Electra was a 1950's plane too, big guy..... :-)
                  "Hey, hey, hey calm down you two. New Shimmer is both a floor wax AND a dessert topping!"
                  Last edited by Propellerhead; 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I saw the V-22s today. I was just riding to a buddy's house between 11 and 12 noon when I spotted them straight in front of me, in the pattern on their downwind leg. They flew together with rotors forward, the wingman off the lead's left and trailing maybe 2 plane lengths.

My friend was outside when they overflew his house, and when I arrived he couldn't stop talking, saying he had never seen anything like that before. I KNOW he's seen the XV-15 fly in the late 80's during one or more of Moffett's former airshows, but he doesn't remember.

Considering how much show-sponsor beer we drank at those events, I'm surprised I do.
                    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Ahhhhhh the memories. Flying to Johnston Atoll from Hawaii with the Nat. Guard. Long flight but the ear plugs and the padded intake cover made a great pillow. And the seats!!! OMG! My kiester is still asleep. The rides into Baghdad were especially memorable. There were kevlar blankets lining the floor up to about a third up on the sides. The part I always loved seeing was when we hit the Kuwait/Iraq border was when the crew in the back put on their helmets and PARACHUTES!! Bathrooms (shower curtain and bowl) was honestly more spacious than a Boeing bathroom could ever hope to be. Then the corkscrew down from altitude over Baghdad IAP to the runway....plenty of buddies lost their MRE's in their helmets. And finally...the taxi to terminal with the door open...the smell, the fumes, the sound....gee I will miss those days.

Ospreys...oh yeah!! Mean machine. I witnessed them at Fort Lewis,WA assisting the Rangers doing airfield takedown training. Faaaassssssstttttttt!!!!!!
                      John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

Speaking of C-130's. Tonite on the military channel there is a new episode of Great Planes, its about the C-130.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                          Speaking of C-130's. Tonite on the military channel there is a new episode of Great Planes, its about the C-130.

If, like myself, you do not HAVE the MILITARY channel on TV, you can still catch that episode on Youtube.

Here's part one of 3. The other 2 parts are available there as well:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUFeo1xy-Tg[/YT]

Comment

Jeez. Moffett is really active this year.

Yesterday we noticed a National Guard Blackhawk circling the field, slowly climbing. Suddenly someone called out "parachutes!"

The helicopter came back down to the field, out of our sight, but several minutes later was seen climbing again. This time they went much higher before jumping.

There may have been more jumps but I couldn't stick around to watch any longer. I haven't seen parachutes there since the 1990s (not counting airshow performances).

V-22s again
                            ------------------

If interested, I found video of the two Ospreys flying around Moffett that someone shot a week ago and posted on youtube. It's the same flight of 2 planes I saw and reported earlier, the footage taken April 30th.

The first pass is with rotors pointed up, but they begin to rotate forward as the aircraft pass the camera:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbM2SS2JG8[/YT]

This is the Y-22s second pass, in the configuration they were in when I spotted them, making a speed run with rotors full forward. Who said there were no more airshows here(?):

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYmsD26oRMQ[/YT]

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-07-2012, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X