• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Stead Footage

check out the founding member of section 3 in the grandstands at 9.50

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
      From The DuPont's? I'd think not, or he would have been flying an Unlimited.
      Interestingly enough, THOSE DuPont's (or more specifically, Samuel DuPont) raced unlimited hydroplanes in the late 50's and early 60's.

Comment

Just a side note, that model was TERRIBLE. I still have it half-built in it's box packed in the garage. Most of the shapes, tail, spinner, etc. were off. Huge raised rivets all over it, gear oleos extended, lousy fit, on and on.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

No sound? No problem, I can hear the sounds in my soul!

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen it before.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

wow, nobody else has said it, but those guys are sure flying low down the front strait - looks cool.

Comment

Originally posted by frostkg View Post
                wow, nobody else has said it, but those guys are sure flying low down the front strait - looks cool.
                From 1966-70 it was an 8-mile long oval course instead of the larger triangular course we have today....as such, there really was no 'deadline' to speak, nor was the 'below pylon height' rule really enforced, and the course itself wasn't alligned directly parallel to the main runway. The unlimiteds frequently flew over the ramp area at the east end of the course as they flew down the front stretch.

Comment

Thanks, "Jim".
                  Can almost hear and smell them!
                  Great way to unwind on the last leg of my road trip to Oakland for the NAG Banquet. Laughs and hugs with lots of race nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    By marriage, yes.

Elaine was Elaine DuPont...brother of Mike DuPont who raced a biplane. Elaine raced a Myers 200 in the Ladies Stock Class, and was married to Mike Loening...who was Grover Loening's son.
                    And later Elaine married Nick Jones who raced Formula 1 at Reno and elsewhere.

Comment

When I was kid, Nixon had a house on the same "peninsula" as Grover Loening.......who also had a helipad which Nixon used to land the helicopter.

There was only one road going in that dead ended and secret service put a guard post at the beginning of the street to limit access and made it very hard to visit the people who lived down that street.

We were standing around with our bicycles when a limo rolled up with blacked out windows and whoever was inside refused to open the windows at the request of the guard so they were turned away.

The next time Nixon attempted to land his helicopter, there was an angry Grover Loening in the middle of the pad standing his ground and expressing his displeasure with a gesture as he refused them landing.

Apparently, the limo had Howard Hughes in it and Nixon was forced to build his own helipad which we gladly fished off of for years.

I believe there was a seabee involved in getting Hughes to key biscayne.........maybe Fulton Ivy or any of the other two guys who had seaplanes there.
                      Last edited by IcePaq; 03-18-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                        From 1966-70 it was an 8-mile long oval course instead of the larger triangular course we have today....as such, there really was no 'deadline' to speak, nor was the 'below pylon height' rule really enforced, and the course itself wasn't alligned directly parallel to the main runway. The unlimiteds frequently flew over the ramp area at the east end of the course as they flew down the front stretch.
                        I recall that Darryl Greenamyer and his Conquest One Bearcat made the 'deadline' an issue one year. Forgot what year it was though.
                        I do recall if you were a photographer, the belly and wings of that F8F would have filled your camera lense.
                        Rampking

Comment

Working...
                        X