First start - Full power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First start - Full power?

Couple (or more) years ago I recall hearing of an Unlimited that had a mixup on first engine start the motor went to FULL throttle instead of IDLE. Connection incorrect or somthing?

Can't recall details, I thought there was even a video somewhere.

TJ
    Tom Johnson,
    Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
    www.airpowerinsurance.com

Re: First start - Full power?

I've seen it happen on boats.

One guy had just rebuilt a ford 460 and it went full throttle at first start.

Surprisingly, the slack from the unpumped lifters didn't allow something horrible to happen.

Same guy started a fountain 35 lightning with the throttle full and accidently grabbed the wrong lever which put it into gear.

I had to replace some parts in the bravo drive.

Comment

Re: First start - Full power?

That happend to an A-7 at China Lake a few years back. Was supposed to be a low power turn that turned into a real brown moment for all hands. It jumped the chocks and went through the hanger doors.

Ah, here it is...

http://www.chinalakealumni.org/Accidents.htm

"157474
      XE-02
      A-7E
      VX-5
      22 Oct 1986

1SO
      AD3 Maria T. Stults performed a low-power turnup on A-7E 157474 on the ramp outside Hangar One. Following the start the aircraft went unassisted to full military power, broke the tie-down chain, jumped over the chocks, traveled 150 feet across the ramp with the brakes locked and impacted the west hangar doors. After unhinging the doors 157474, and the doors, continued into the hangar where the A-7E and the doors impacted an A-6E Intruder and nudged into another A-7E. SOC 05 Nov 1986."
      Rob
      Merlins are cool
      But Radials rule!
      And jets just make noise

Comment

Working...
      X