Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Whiteside/Steadfast To Attempt Another Record

Originally posted by grampi View Post
    He will never get a Yak to outclimb a Bearcat....
    If you are refering to outclimbing Rear Bear, that is a challege.

If you are talking about a stock bearcat not as difficult:

(1) Steadfast record was set from standing start on runway to 10,000ft in 2.05 min which equals a climb rate of 4878 ft/min. Steadfast power to weight ratio (for record) was between 0.25 and 0.27 HP/lb.

(2) Stock F8F has a climb rating of 4570 ft/min (not from standing start) and has a power to weight ratio of 0.25 HP/lb (assuming 1300 lbs of fuel, pilot, etc., and 2100 hp R-2800)

They are close in comparison.

Deep Enough

Comment

Re: Will Whiteside/Steadfast To Attempt Another Record

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
      If you are refering to outclimbing Rear Bear, that is a challege.

If you are talking about a stock bearcat not as difficult:

(1) Steadfast record was set from standing start on runway to 10,000ft in 2.05 min which equals a climb rate of 4878 ft/min. Steadfast power to weight ratio (for record) was between 0.25 and 0.27 HP/lb.

(2) Stock F8F has a climb rating of 4570 ft/min (not from standing start) and has a power to weight ratio of 0.25 HP/lb (assuming 1300 lbs of fuel, pilot, etc., and 2100 hp R-2800)

They are close in comparison.

Deep Enough
      Sorry, I didn't clarify myself very well...a Yak will never outclimb RAREBEAR...on the juice RB is pushing double the HP of a stock Bearcat...I would guess today's version of RB would break it's old record by a considerable amount...

Maj Al Williams who flew the G-58A version (Gulfhawk IV), a lightened version of the -1 with a stock engine, claimed it would do the dead stop to 10K ft climb in 90 seconds...
      Last edited by grampi; 03-21-2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X