Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T..How does a wing REALLY create lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: O/T..How does a wing REALLY create lift?

My two cents. While studying analysis of vertebrate structure at UC Davis, an upper division zoology course, my Professor, Dr. Milton Hildebrand, explained why birds get lift from the structure of their wings. He held the belief that the air flow traveling over the underside of the wing was faster than air flow over the top, creating a pressure differential, thus creating lift. I am not an aeronautical engineer, so I might be full of misinformation so to speak. LOL.

Frank C.

Comment

Actually, the wing/airfoil only provides a place to attach the black thread that "magically" lifts the aircraft. That is also why helicopters are limited in formation flying and the maneuvers they can perform, the black thread gets tangled up and the helicopter falls from the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
        Actually, the wing/airfoil only provides a place to attach the black thread that "magically" lifts the aircraft. That is also why helicopters are limited in formation flying and the maneuvers they can perform, the black thread gets tangled up and the helicopter falls from the sky.
        do black helicopters use white thread?

Comment

Originally posted by morerevsm3 View Post
          these theories do not apply to rotary wing aircraft...
          Helicoptors are so ugly that the ground rejects them
          Anything that must inharmoniously & continually screw itself into the sky to remain aloft is sorcery and born of Satan himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric J. View Post
            Anything that must inharmoniously & continually screw itself into the sky to remain aloft is sorcery and born of Satan himself.

My son and his wife are helicopter pilots. Hopefully it is not sorcery born of Satan that keeps them aloft. Then again the rotor has something called the JC nut. LOL.

Frank C.

Comment

You guys are all way off base. It's really all about Lift Demons and Thrust Pixies...

TomL

Comment

Originally posted by Frank C. View Post
                My son and his wife are helicopter pilots. Hopefully it is not sorcery born of Satan that keeps them aloft. Then again the rotor has something called the JC nut. LOL.

Frank C.
                I salute them both. A helicopter pilot's license is quite a feather in one's cap to have. I'm sure you're very proud.

Yep. Its the Jesus-nut that keeps Satan at bay and maintains the balance of power between the Heaven and Hell that is the rotary-wing helicopter.

Ah-men.

Comment

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Best semi-layperson explanation of how wings work (circulation theory) that I've read so far.

Circulation theory is the mathematical method that airfoil designers use.

See How It Flies; Perception, Procedure, Principle of Flight; Perceptions, Procedures, Principles of Flight; John Stewart Denker; John S. Denker; John Denker; jsd; Flying; Piloting; Pilot Technique; General Aviation; Light Airplane; Light Aircraft; Flight Instruction; Flight Instructor; Learning to Fly; Flying Lesson; Student Pilot; Private Pilot; Advanced Pilot; Flight Safety; Flight Maneuver; Rule of Thumb; Aerial; Aeronautics; Aeronautical; Aerodynamics

And, even if Einstein didn't know it, aerodynamicists knew that the "equal transit time" rule was a total myth as long as the phenomenon of lift have been studied in a scholarly manner.
                    Last edited by skater; 02-04-2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X