Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The last flying avro vucan bomber b2 xh558

Found this. . .

Turns out it arrived in Goose in '81 due to a fire indication and never left.

Vulcan Bomber

Don

Comment

S.A.C. Museum near Omaha has a Vulcan on display. Link below to their Vulcan page.

I remember seeing a Vulcan attend and fly at the Combat Air Museum airshow at Topeka, KS sometime in the mid 80's. What a sight to see.

Comment

It looks like there are a few Vulcans in North America. I'll have to go find them on Google Earth.

Will

Comment

I was lucky enough to see one fly at open house at Edwards. I think it was in '77. I remember getting off the shuttle bus and looking up as I walked between the hangers and the Vulcan was in a 45 degree banking turn with the underside toward show center. All four engines were in "reheat" and it just seemed to float, like it wasn't moving fast enough to fly........scared the s**t outta me 'cause I thought it was gonna crash! To a twelve year old it was sensory overload!!

I saw a lot of cool aircraft when we lived at EAFB, but the Vulcan is one of the best memories ever.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
            I was lucky enough to see one fly at open house at Edwards. I think it was in '77. I remember getting off the shuttle bus and looking up as I walked between the hangers and the Vulcan was in a 45 degree banking turn with the underside toward show center. All four engines were in "reheat" and it just seemed to float, like it wasn't moving fast enough to fly........scared the s**t outta me 'cause I thought it was gonna crash! To a twelve year old it was sensory overload!!

I saw a lot of cool aircraft when we lived at EAFB, but the Vulcan is one of the best memories ever.

Kevin
            I must have been about 6 or so when I saw the one at Abottsford, perhaps 8 at most.

I bet you got to see the YF12s fly at Edwards when you were a kid. That would have been cool

Will

Comment

My dad was stationed there from '75 to '81. There were many new aircraft that had just started flight testing....F-16, A-10, B-1A, YC-14 and YC-15, and the most memorable for me the Space Shuttle. NASA was also flying multiple SR-71's and YF-12 '935. I also remember going to Rockwell's facility at Plant 42 to see Columbia being built.....it was pretty awesome standing underneath it and looking at all of those tiles!

Dad worked at the Rocket Propulsion Laboratory, east of Rogers Dry Lake. That facility has so much history, it's too bad that we weren't there for the F-1 testing program. It would have been incredible to see a night firing.

I thought that I was going to "complete the circle" concerning the Space Shuttle program when I had the opportunity to go to KSC to watch STS 134 launch.......almost. Scrubbed due to an APU problem! Only the opportunity to see the mighty Saturn V took a little of the sting away. Fantasy of Flight was great, a ride in a New Standard D-25 most memorable. Oops....back to the initial topic.

Dad took me to my first air race at Mojave. I definately remember the Red Barron, and strangely, Cal Worthington racing a T-6. I don't remember seeing his dog "Spot" in the back seat though.

I reckon that's enough rambling for now.

Kevin

Comment

I saw an active duty Vulcan which had flown combat missions during the Falklands War. It was at an airshow in Texas. It was quite interesting as it made a pass and popped the bomb bay doors open. Sadly, the aircraft and crew were lost not long thereafter.

I wish them good luck securing the funding to keep the Vulcan flying.

Comment

Working...
                X