Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not sure what to say about this one

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    Lefty hit a fencepost with his wingtip in 1981, but never made contact with the ground....but I think that was the same year that Skip Holm hit a jackrabbit on the back side of the course in Jeannie.

IIRC the only pilot to make contact with the ground was Ralph Rina in the T-6 Yabba Dabba Do in 1991 when he cartwheeled it in a turn during qualifying.
    There was also the Amsoil Biplane that cartwheeled through the dirt. Still can't believe he walked away from that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      There was also the Amsoil Biplane that cartwheeled through the dirt. Still can't believe he walked away from that one.
      The Amzoil Rutan Special actually was a high-speed stall in the turn and it more just fell out of the sky on the west end scatter-pylon as opposed to flying into the ground. But there is no doubt that it was a testament to the strength of Rutan's aircraft that Mortensen was only slightly roughed up with a sprained shoulder and ankle if I remember.

Comment

[QUOTE=Big_Jim;98519IIRC the only pilot to make contact with the ground was Ralph Rina in the T-6 Yabba Dabba Do in 1991 when he cartwheeled it in a turn during qualifying.[/QUOTE]

I happened to be watching that one. From what I remember, he hit his wingtip going around the last turn, but didn't crash. He actually was able to pull up a little, and flew along the home straight until around the home pylon. He then turned left apparently to try and land on the closed runway, (18 I think?) but had some kind of problem making the last turn, and then cartwheeled. Fortunately, he did survvive.

Please correct me if some of my memory has faded.

Danno

Comment

right airplane, wrong pilot. it was jim mott that crashed yabba dabba doo
          bob burns
          ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
          "dont mess with texas"

Comment

...In fact, I just finished scanning all of my old slides (including many years from NCAR) and found a sequence from Yaba Daba Doo cartwheeling. Here are a couple from the set. These are quite cropped, so not great quality, but it shows what happened.

The first picture shows him flying past home pylon after the wingtip drug the ground. The others show what happened when he tried to circle around to land.

Enjoy!

Danno
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow. Thanks for posting those.
              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                The Amzoil Rutan Special actually was a high-speed stall in the turn and it more just fell out of the sky on the west end scatter-pylon as opposed to flying into the ground. But there is no doubt that it was a testament to the strength of Rutan's aircraft that Mortensen was only slightly roughed up with a sprained shoulder and ankle if I remember.
                I actually interviewed and wrote a pretty good story from Danny's own memories of racing the Amsoil Racer. You've got to admit that it was a good little racer and was thinking pretty far outside of the box at the time.

Comment

Working...
                X