Air Race fans are nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air Race fans are nuts?

Well, few go-karts have air bags, steel door beams. rollover protection roof pillars, "crush zones" or other protective items like that, but I understand your point none-the-less.

Just think of the sixties or earlier when cars didn't even have headrests or seat belts of any type!

Or back further when automobiles were still fresh, Model T's were everywhere and anyone who drove faster than 25 mph was a death-seeking maniac.

The stretches of road as Wayne described give me the willys every time I am upon one. Many head-ons happen from one idiot doing something dumb, like drifting into the other lane while playing with the radio. Regardless of how careful one may drive, you are at the mercy of the on-coming driver, period. Just pray that he/she isn't feeling suicidal that day.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
      Truly, nuts could be described as driving a vehicle at speeds in excess of 60 MPH while other drivers operate vehicles going the opposite direction at equal or greater speed, all the while less than 10 feet away from each other, (in many cases, far less) on the same roadway.

Need I mention, there is nothing between you and the other vehicle than a stripe on the road and a little bit of air. There is nothing keeping you apart, beyond the mechanical reliability of the vehicle and the talent of the person operating it.

1000's of people die each year doing this very thing....

Would we ever consider outlawing undivided, bi directional highways?

The NTSB has, probably, in excess of a million miles of said, proven very dangerous roadways within the domain of its "advisory capacity".... Yet, I've never once heard anyone, inside or outside of the NTSB speak of closing these extremely dangerous roadways. They are what they are, we recognize them as what they are and continue to use them with little thought of what *could* hapen....

If this society would ever truly grasp the concept of cause and effect and along with it, the reality of the risks inherent to our day to day existence.. I don't think we'd even be having this discussion.

My God.. we're living on a rock, in the middle of nowhere, hurtling through space at a an average speed of 67,108 MPH, with nothing but danger surrounding us...

Peeling off my aluminum hat....
      Thank you sir You so said it!

Hey guys, please save room in the jar for one more nut / fanatic / call me what you will.
      I'll take any name you wish to throw at me, so long as I can be called them at Reno this September while watching the races!
      What part of 'Air Race FAN-atic' do you not understand?
      Like the chips - You can't attend just one!

Comment

I had a woman pass me this morning. There is 2 inches of snow, packed to ice, 6 degrees outside. I'm in 4WD doing about 45, slipping a little. She blasts by at 60+, in an Acura, with both hands on the top of the wheel, texting.
        I'M NUTS?
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Hello everyone, my name is Eric J. and apparently I'm nuttier than a squirrel turd.

Comment

Yes, two lane roads are not good, I drive one for 45 miles one way when driving to the airport to fly. In winter it's often slick and snowing. You just hope everyone has got it together. I use to drive my T bucket street rod on the interstate, but not anymore with all the jerks on it, one screw up from them and I'd be toast.
            Ron
            Didn't mean to hijack this thread about nutty race fans, I've already posted earlier on this thread about how nuts we are.

Comment

Working...
            X