Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aerial refueling.

Originally posted by Reever View Post
    This goes back to the sixties, but, at an open house at NAS Lemoore, an A-4 with a buddy pack refueling an A-3 and the A-3 was refueling an F-8.

All three hooked up.
    I saw that display.

I lived on Banyan St. and later Tiger St.

Comment

When I think of aerial refueling, I always think back to the opening scene in the movie "Dr. Strangelove" where the B-52 flown by Slim Pickens is being refueled by a tanker. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJCL9...ure=plpp_video

Comment

I went through F-4 RTU at George AFB in 1973, I "learned" air refueling on those tracks an distinctly remember refueling over San Fransico on my first refueling without an IP in the back seat. It was scary as the tanker had an "autopilot malfunction" and I thought I was gonna impact it while on the boom, I don't know to this day if it was a "brute force disconnect" or if I hit the disconnect button on the stick in time, ironically one of the wingman was taking super 8 mm movies and had it all recorded, it was actually a very mild porpoise of the tanker and not nearly as scary looking on film as it was to me, I remember the tanker pilot apologizing and hoping it didn't cause any problems but I already had my off-load. We were at FL 280, way to high to be doing this anyway (didn't figure that out till I was at Korat where we refueled at FL180 where we had much better power respsonce and besides the Thuds couldn't get any higher, they had to have leading edge flaps out as it was to refuel at 320 knots), hell I was probably 10 miles behind the tanker by then and would have taken forever to hook up again at that altitude and I was on the verge of hyperventilating anyway. I stayed pretty scared about refueling until I "figured it out" at Korat, got to be able to keep position within a few inches after I gained confidence and learned a few tricks.
        Ron Henning

Comment

Working...
        X