Yak-11 Racer Project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yak-11 Racer Project?

Mr. Awesome already had a boiler for oil cooling.
    Scotty G

Comment

If I had the money, I would buy it. Always liked that plane after they took the barn door tail off it and grafted the T-33 tail onto it. It reminded me of the Marcoux-Bromberg racer from the 1930's. Maybe Bucky or Neal can post a picture of it from 1989 when it had the tall tail and stinger....a very sexy airframe.

The lengthened fuselage was intended for better longitudinal stability also...Matt Jackson was involved in building that plane, maybe he can chime in on the theory.

I've always questioned the use of the PRT's on the 3350 on that plane, though. The PRTs were intended for high-altitude, constant power conditions. I've talked to several engine guys and crew chiefs about how they felt as to whether you actually got anything out of it. The feedback was split..but most felt that any return was not going to be all that great...and the question was as to how the PRT's would perform pulling g's around the course.

Comment

The other issue with the Yak, is the short landing gear. You can't hang a large enough prop to absorb the HP. That is, with cutting down existing props like the Aeroproducts unit. Re-profiling would help, but you can't do that with the hollow steel blades. It needs a new prop design or a longer landing gear setup...

Comment

It just needs a telescoping prop that can be short at takeoff and longer at race speeds.

Sheesh, must I think of everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            I think Czech Mate has gone fast enough to prove a 2800 is plenty of motor for a Yak. I don't see that monstrosity being any faster than Czech has gone. Hell, look at the speeds Argo ran with the 2800 this year.
            Argo????? You talking Argonaut? It's 3350 powered.
            I always thought Mr. Awesome/Red Heat/Frostbite looked really cool with the original tail. Kinda super "Mooney". Like something straight out of the 30's. The Keith Ryder/Marcoux-Bromberg racer being a great comparison. But, looking cool and flying safe are two different paintjobs! Man, Reno '88 was a kick-a** year!
            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Hi hm66sk-

Just to get you up to speed- Sanders Aircraft converted Hawker Sea Fury Race #114 Argonaut over to P&W R-2800 power earlier this year fm its' Wright R-3350 powerplant & it raced at Reno 2011 w/the 2800 & impressed everybody running on its' new engine type.

Here's a link f/conversion details:

DBD

Comment

By special request- 3/4-frontal sunset portrait of Awesome @ Reno '89.

+Here's direct link to my brief Buck Shots'- Mr. Awesome highlight (Page 37/Post #363-3rd post down), for a couple more circa-'88 photos of this radical racer's debut at Reno:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

DBD
                Attached Files

Comment

I thought that Mr. Awesome's fuselage was an entirely new build structure.
                  Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                    Hi hm66sk-

Just to get you up to speed- Sanders Aircraft converted Hawker Sea Fury Race #114 Argonaut over to P&W R-2800 power earlier this year fm its' Wright R-3350 powerplant & it raced at Reno 2011 w/the 2800 & impressed everybody running on its' new engine type.

Here's a link f/conversion details:

DBD
                    Shows you how out of it I've been. I was unaware of this switch. She runs good!
                    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                    X