X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jimmy Leeward Air Race Photo Memories

"Helping-Hand fm The Competition"...

Wed. 9/14/83-Reno NCAR-End of Qualifying:

The Bakersfield Boys pitch-in to help-out w/the sunset Merlin motor swap on Jimmy Leeward's Race X-SPECTER (NX79111). Engine-builder Mike Nixon directs boom crane operator- race pilot Bill 'Tiger' Destefani,-on lowering a replacement engine into Leeward's racer. #7-Strega race pilot-Ron Hevle (L) listens to Jimmy Leeward (Ctr), while Strega's owner-Destefani (-who was racing his other P-51D #72-Mangia Pane) intently-focuses on Nixon's hand signals.

A timer error negated Leeward's impressive first Q-attempt & Jimmy broke his race motor on his second run that followed & wasn't able to officially post a Q-time before the end of Unlimited qualifying. After his replacement engine was installed, out of frustration- Leeward flew his newly-aquired Race X-Specter as a substitute entry in place of his stocker Mustang-#9 Cloud Dancer, in a heat & f/Sunday's Bronze final, which was disallowed.

This photo well-captures the great spirit of sportsmanship that exists amongst air racers,-where competitor teams regularly-help each other out fm their setbacks in a show of friendship & to help keep the level of competition strong in the world's fastest motorsport. No doubt, Jimmy Leeward found an opportunity to return the favor more than once.

DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 12-10-2011, 12:37 AM.

Comment

"SPECTER"..........(Webster's- n. ghost; spirit)

Jimmy Leeward purchased #69-Jeannie/NX79111 fm owner-Wiley Sanders, to enter the prestigious rank & file of Unlimited Gold Trophy race competitors w/the 2-time Reno NCAR Champion P-51D @ Reno '83 & he changed his new hot Mustang's identity.

Here's a few photos fm NX79111's strange debut year as Jimmy's Race X-Specter (L-R)...

1. Wed. 9/14/83- Late night pit stall shot of Specter being attended-to by Leeward's crew, w/the Mike Nixon replacement Merlin installed & the removed blown race engine fm the failed Q-run attempt resting in its' cradle in the foreground.

2. Thur. 9/15/83- Jimmy Leeward gives Specter's replacement engine a test run on the Stead Field ramp following the prev. day's Mike Nixon motor swap.

3-4 & 5. Sat. 9/17/83- Leeward standing up on Specter's wing while having a pow-wow w/members of his race team; Jimmy in-discussion w/Bob Hoover prior to their interview f/the Skyfire camera crew; Jimmy & Specter round Outer 4 Pylon during UNL Bronze Heat #2 earlier that afternoon, while running 'unofficially' in 2nd-place & chasing leader John Crocker's P-51D #6-Sumthin' Else.

6-7. Sun. 9/18/83- A pair of photos capturing Jimmy Leeward & Race X-Specter turning Outer 6 Pylon,-while leading Sunday's UNL Bronze final. Once again, Jimmy chose to fly his unqualified-Specter in place of his stock Mustang #9-Cloud Dancer & despite the fact he easily won the Bronze race, Leeward was DQ'd f/flying an illegal entry a/c in this competition. 2nd-place finisher- Earl Ketchen,-flying Don Davis' P-51D #81-Habu, was awarded the win instead (@ 400.717-mph).

And thusly as a result- Race X-"Specter" lived up to it's short-lived new name in the record books f/the Reno '83 NCAR. Nonetheless,-Jimmy Leeward gave hard-core race fans the thrill & joy of seeing NX79111 back in action again out there on the racecourse...

DBD
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BuckyD; 12-28-2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the memories Buckey. I didn't get to know Jimmy personally until about 2000 or so, man, he sure liked to share his passion with people he met!

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Here's a couple more Specter shots I found in my B&W photo archives, fm the Wed. nite (9/14/83) engine change series, that I felt might also be worth including to share on this thread...

The first one's a candid profile of Jimmy Leeward gazing up in contemplation at the just-installed motor in NX79111 (-w/lots on his mind, no doubt).

The second photo captures Jimmy up on the ladder helping a crewman re-install the Merlin's coolant header tank, as his team mates go about reassembling all the engine & systems 'jewelry' back onto the racer. Leeward's pal & fellow P51 race pilot- John Dilley stands in front of Race X's nose, watching the team's concentrated efforts to get their plane back to airworthy competitive condition.

DBD
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Bucky, amazing photos, especially to someone like me who never got the privilege.
            Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

"Silver Bird!"

Here's a mini-gallery assortment of Jimmy Leeward havin' his fun in the sun w/his trusty Mustang mount- Cloud Dancer (N55JL)...

Photos (L-R/top-down):

1. Mon. 9/20/82- "Homeward-Bound"- Jimmy Leeward warms-up Dancer's Merlin motor, prior to his Stead Field departure following Reno '82 NCAR, w/a passenger riding in the jump seat in back.

2. Mon. 9/9/96- "Spit & Polish"- Jimmy lays-down a vigorous application of 'elbow grease' towards keeping up the natural-metal shine on his silver P-51D on the first day of Reno '96 air race week.

3. Mon. 9/11/96- "Sittin' Pretty"- Cloud Dancer's all shined-up & lookin' sweet, all-ready f/pylon racing competition as the sun goes down behind Reno's Stead Field after the first day of qualifying & practice.

4. Fri. 9/21/00- "Vee vs. Roundy"- Jimmy Leeward & #9-Cloud Dancer duel w/Nelson Ezell flying Joe Thibodeau's big R-3350-engined Hawker Sea Fury-Race #21 Sea Hawk goin' around Outer 7 Pylon during UNL HT-3C.

5. Sun. 9/17/00- "Hedge-hoppin' Ridge-Runner"- Jimmy has Dancer down on the deck along the E. Chute heading f/the critical turn at Outer 4 Pylon during Sunday's Silver Race final.

6. Tue. 9/12/00- "Racin' The Clock!"- Leeward & N55JL are captured going-by the W. Chute Guide Pylon along the 'Valley-of-Speed' during their 395.531-mph Q-Run.

7. Thur. 9/14/06- "Fury Encounter!"- Going around Outer 4 Pylon-Jimmy Leeward really has his hands-full holding-down an inside lead w/Cloud Dancer in UNL HT-1A, while being hounded by an angry flock of hungry Hawker Sea Furies led by Robert 'Hoot' Gibson-flying Mike Keenum's red & white #99-Riff Raff.

8. Sun. 9/15/96- "Greasin' The Stick"- Jimmy Leeward flies Dancer on a tight line going around Outer 4 Pylon during Sunday's Bronze final while holdin-down 2nd-place.

9-10. Mon. 3/21/94- "Joy Ride!"- Jimmy takes-up a joy-rider in N55JL the morning-after race week at the innaugural Phoenix 500 Air Races, held at Williams-Gateway Airport. Cloud Dancer wasn't entered to race at this event, but Leeward was involved w/promoter Patrick Dial's PHX-500 Estrella race management team & his P-51D displayed a temporary new ID as Race #8-Estrella One.

DBD
              Attached Files

Comment

I got kind of excited when Estrella One showed up at Phoenix in '94. Even in her drab garments, it was still obviously Cloud Dancer, and it marked the beginning of the return for Jimmy...since he had been on a five year hiatus from Reno.

Comment

Such a huge loss. Thanks for posting Bucky. I have something interesting to share, do you mind if I post it in here?

Comment

Go ahead & bring it on, Jesse. Let's see what ya got...

DBD

Comment

We have here a photo that appears to be taken a few moments before and a few feet to the right of one of your photo's. I am 99% sure it was taken in 1983, and I can't imagine a shot like that appears more than once a raceweek.

My father thinks he took it, but his memory aint that great these days, there is a possibility that family friend Phil Brown took the photo, but he says he know you, so maybe you took it and gave him a print. Who knows???

I had Jimmy sign it in 2010, he got a big kick out of seeing it. Been hard for me to look at too much, but I am very happy we got to share with each other that day.

Comment

Hi Jesse- Very cool Specter portrait & thanks a bunch for posting it to include here as a great addition f/this Jimmy Leeward photo tribute thread (& a perfect slot to put it up too). Having Jimmy personalize it f/you with his signature was fortuitous, making this pic a remarkable historical keepsake to treasure forever.

Rest assured, you can feel 100% confident that this photo was taken at Reno '83- the only year NX79111 would appear as Race X-Specter (& that's obviously the Stead Field ramp as you can see).

Thx once again, f/sharing this w/all of us here on the site, Jesse.

DBD

P.S.- Would also like to find out if you & your dad were aquainted, & perhaps you might share some more info about him w/me via a PM sometime.

Comment

Thanks DBD!

I only wish I had more from back then!!

(you've been PM'ed)

Comment

Sad that Sept day. But back a couple of years before Jimmy gave me a gift!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cloud 9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	224865
                            JetWaste

Comment

Bucky, I am no professional photographer, but was happy to have GG in my backyard......... Here are a couple of pics of Jimmy and the Ghost, will post more later.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Those were good times.
                                Last edited by Wilnit; 01-06-2012, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X