No announcement yet.

What is the cockpit environment like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the cockpit environment like?

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
    Flutter existed long before trim tabs were even invented. Wings, propellers and other airframe parts can be subject to destructive flutter. It's not just an issue with aircraft either.

In Miss Ashley II's case, the tail end was modified far from stock P-51 form, with a Learjet stabilizer and elevator replacing the North American-made surfaces, if I am correct. I don't know if the vertical tail was modded too, but it's certainly taller than a "D" model's tail. Perhaps from a later model 'Stang?

A change in stiffness of the tail end of the fuselage could result in flutter. A stiffer tail would resonate at higher frequencies than a Mustang's, and a more flexible rear end would flutter at lower ones.

This is why new aircraft are tested for flutter at various velocities, both high at it's maximum and at it's lowest to stalling...to see if any portion of the airframe (not just trim surfaces) would resonate with the airflow at that particular speed and produce some form of flutter.

The tail of Gary's plane was a one-of-a-kind item. It's very possible that Gary hit just the right speed and was struck by just the right turbulence to induce flutter and failure.

I DO recall reading that a video of Gary's crash was watched in slow motion by the NTSB and others. The rudder was seen fluttering at high speed and was said to be very blurred, seemingly almost invisible, a video effect that could occur if it's flutter vibration frequency closely matched that of the video camera's frame rate or a sub frequency of it. This high speed vibration under load could weaken the whole tail section, which failed resulting in a pitch-down and airframe break-up beginning with the wings departing.

I never heard anything about a trim tab separating, anywhere. Was that just an assumption, or is it reported somewhere I can be directed to please? If I'm incorrect, then I WISH to be corrected. If true, then the trim tab would have been found on the track well before where the accident occured, and no theories would be needed...

But if the tab was found still attached to the elevator and intact, then that theory is a dead end. Anyone know? I was there in 1999, but I looked away just before the breakup happened.
    The vertical fin of Miss Ashley II was a standard P-51H fin built from blueprints. The rudder was metalized but otherwise stock. The aircraft had been flying for years when it went in. There was never any flutter detected prior to the accident. Of course the P-51H was also well proven. To be fair they had just created a radical NACA scoop based belly scoop and I wondered if that had contributed but I had heard repeatedly from folks I trust the trim tab was the core issue.

I was close to Bill while MA-II was being built. I had done some engineering on the plane when it was under construction to do HP/air speed projections and even talked to Bill about the challenges of getting an "H" fin built as the alloy used in the spar was not easily available. While some changes were associated with the Lear horizontal there was never flutter prior in MA II or Vendetta prior.

Failure cascade as I remember was trim tab, rudder flutter, vertical fin failure, tail cone failure, loss of vertical stab caused extreme negative G pitch down, wing failure at spar repair... the rest we all know. It seems like most of the video showed this clearly but last I check most of it has been pulled down.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore View Post
      Once might be a fluke. Now we know it isn't. A hard way to learn, but this will start the search for solution that will prevent it from ever happening again. I've learned to have a lot of faith in the guys that build and maintain these birds. They'll figure it out.
      Its somewhat therapeutic to think through these scenarios, but I'll just say that cause and effect can be exactly the opposite in seemingly identical scenarios where moving parts are concerned. You have two engines with broken crankshafts and each with a broken main bearing cap, but in one the crankshaft broke because the main bearing cap cracked and let the crank flex, in the other the the broken crankshaft and resulting imbalance broke the main bearing cap.

I'm going to let the guys with their hands on the pieces and all the footage do the reconstruction.

Comment

Please people....... be mindful of what you say with regards to Miss Ashley II when you dont have first hand knowlege and or any facts. Skip Holms, who had flown M A most of the summer prior to that race, Alan Preston, my self, Bill Eck and 1 or 2 others.. (I dont recall if Bill Rodger was present or not) reviewed... discussed the footage at length.....footage that would later be sent to the NTSB. THE FAILURE WAS NOT INDUCED BY FLUTTER/TAB LOSS AND OR PILOT ERROR. This is not the time or place to go into what the likely cause was....

This site, as well as many others, are regularly read by many outside "our field of interest" including the News Media/FAA /NTSB. Public opinon will be based in large part by what people read and or what is reported.

The more all of you speculate on a public forum..... the more fuel you give the Media/public to use against our sport and or all motor sports for that matter. All motor sports have their dangers..... do some searching

Jimmy was a good friend and very talented pilot and will be missed dearly by us all. Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce, I agree with you completely but I only posted what I was told by Bill himself.... as well as several other members of the crew..

I'm truly not sure how to handle the volume of posts we're getting right now, it's really unprecidented...

I want to allow everyone to vent, satisfy their inner need to know what happened...

I too knew Jimmy pretty well, he opened many doors for me over the years and I'll never forget him.

I think most of us are still in shock and the posts reflect this.. I believe I should merge ALL of the speculation, the WHY??? posts into one... anyone have suggestions?
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne send me a PM and I'll give you my phone #...we can talk. Bruce

Comment

Well, now I AM confused. Normally an NTSB report would be the final word for me, but if Mr. Lockwood says otherwise, then I'm stumped.

I DO know that I have seen a lot of RUDDER trim tabs lost over the decades at Reno, but I don't recall any resulting in tail flutter issues, so I tend to believe him first.

Wayne, perhaps after speaking with Bruce personally on what he knows, you can clue us in a little please? Best the truth be known rather than falsehoods.

Comment

Very well said Bruce!

Please if you love the sport of air racing, as much as I do then no comment other your sympathy will help allowing it to return to Reno next year. There are too many people out there in the media that love to see your comments printed in the newspaper.

Our time will come to post comments after this tragic accident as calmed down and we are not part of the daily news.

Jimmy, I will miss your friendlily smile and comments! My thoughts and prayers go out to all your family and air racing friends.

BLUE SKIES FOREVER!
                Bill

Comment

I fly RC model planes and have seen flutter you hear a buzz and things begin to come apart most times a loss of the aircraft

Comment

Working...
                  X