Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three who lost their lives identified...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Three who lost their lives identified...

I should clarify, although he was a member of my CAF wing I do not know Craig personally. I am unsure if he is/was a Tora pilot (although I've seen several claims of that) but only that he was involved with the Tora show. Here is a local article about him: http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/frien...63b1d13a3.html

Comment

Sorry, AirDOGGe, I should have put this update here, rather than in the other thread. Unfortunately, I don't have backgrounds on the newly confirmed victims.

The Washoe County Coroner's Office has come out with the following list of victims confirmed dead:

Jimmy Leeward, 74, Ocala, Florida
      John Craik, 45, Gardnerville, Nevada
      Sheryl Elvin, 71, Lenexa, Kansas
      Wendy Hewit, 56, Fort Mohave, Arizona
      Craig Salerno, 50, Friendswood, Texas
      Michael Wogan, 22, Scottsdale, Arizona
      George Hewitt, 60, Fort Mohave, Arizona
      Regina Bynum, 53, San Angelo, Texas
      Sharon Stewart, 47, Reno, Nevada
      Greg Morcom, 47, Stanwood, Washington

One victim currently remains unidentified.
      Last edited by sandramore; 09-20-2011, 04:26 PM.
      sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
      http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

No worries. I, and I'm sure others appreciate what you are doing.

Correction: Greg Morcom is from Marysville, not Marrysville or Stanwood.

TUESDAY UPDATE: Lost air-race fan number 11 is no stranger to us anymore. More info on some of the others now available too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy Leeward, 74, ........Ocala, Florida
        John Craik, 45,................ Gardnerville, Nevada
        Sheryl Elvin, 71,............... Lenexa, Kansas
        Wendy Hewit, 56,............ Fort Mohave, Arizona
        Craig Salerno, 50,............ Friendswood, Texas
        Michael Wogan, 22,......... Scottsdale, Arizona
        George Hewitt, 60,.......... Fort Mohave, Arizona
        Regina Bynum, 53,.......... San Angelo, Texas
        Sharon Stewart, 47,........ Reno, Nevada
        Greg Morcom, 47,............ Marysville, Washington
        James McMichael, 47,...... Graham, Washington

RENO, Nev. - A 47-year-old Washington man who loved airplanes has been identified as among the 11 people killed in a Reno air show crash.

Darlene McMichael told The Associated Press Tuesday that her son James McMichael of Graham died from injuries after a fighter plane dived into a crowd of fans midway through a race.

AirDOGGe: At least THIS writer didn't erroneously refer to GG as a "STUNT" plane....carry on...

...Darlene McMichael says her son is survived by his wife and an extensive family.

Reno police announced Tuesday that the death toll had grown to 11 people. Emergency officials are trying to compile a list of missing persons.

Among the other victims were a wheelchair-bound businessman who loved to travel, a former airline pilot who owned a vintage airplane and a construction worker attending his first race. Most of the victims were there for leisure, but Sharon Stewart, 47, died while trying to make a few extra bucks.

"She was so happy she was going to make some extra money, we were going to pay the rent and save some money to go see the kids,'' said Jose Cacheux-Ojeda, 59, the father of her children and her longtime boyfriend.

Stewart needed money to visit her four sons in California so she took a minimum-wage job picking up trash at the National Championship Air Races in Reno. She was almost done with her 11-hour shift when a WWII-era fighter plane veered off course and crashed into the VIP seating section.

Her friend found her deceased body on the tarmac moments later, covered by a sheet of tarp.

More than 70 people have been treated for injuries, some of them life threatening.

The dramatic injury toll was stoking fears across the nation, as relatives and friends flooded Reno officials with inquiries about the whereabouts of spectators.
        Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-20-2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Oh good, I'm glad everyone's been identified.

Comment

I found this board after hearing about the accident. My family has been attending the races since the mid '90's. We had a regular box, B-42, the Elvin's sat in box B-41. They are close race family! Cherie, as we knew her did pass away. She was an amazing lady who cared about even the friends she met only a few times. Please keep her whole family in your prayers! The other members of her family all had significant injuries and are still in the hospital. Thank you to this forum and all of the founders! We found our friend, we know she is at peace now. My family was unable to attend this year due to my wife giving birth to our first child on the 10th. If that had not been the case, the toll might be slightly higher. As long as we are able, we will be back next year! Blue skies and brisk tail winds to the Jimmy! We all know the risks, and still we yearn for the thrill!

Kevin

Comment

Walton's Funerals offers free services for all Reno Air Races crash victims

Good for Walton's Funeral Home.

Comment

Working...
              X