Ghost crashed in the stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ghost crashed in the stands

Horrible horrible news. I'm sick to my stomach right now. My heart goes out to the Leeward's and anyone else affected by this tragedy.
    Last edited by hm66sk; 09-16-2011, 05:10 PM.
    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

I am so happy that those in and near the stands were alright, but I am so saddened by the loss of Jimmy and the Ghost. A true loss.

sam
      Biplane Race #3

Comment

i think the races might happen next year but things will be differnt. but for what happend with galloping ghost i think the water injetior system let go thats what i saw on the video.

but to all of us fans i am so sad

Comment

Still in shock I expect. Very abrupt pull up, the videos I've seen really doesn't do it justice. Looked as though some sort of control failure and reports were Jimmy had called mayday. I am just sharing the word in the pits, I am sure the NTSB will have more information soon. Some witness reported that Jimmy seemed to be trying to avoid the stands at the last minute and he went out a hero, I'm going to go along with that.

Happened REALLY fast! Only blessing was no fire. Once I was sure I was safe that was my next worry, trying to get clear of any fire but it never came.

Word was the pilots wanted to continue the races but the board immediately voted to cancel the remainder of the event.

Sad part was the race was off to a great start with Strega running over 490 which for a Friday would have been amazing...

I hope the races will continue to be held but for now, godspeed Jimmy and the fans we lost today....

Spacegrrrl
          Last edited by spacegrrrl; 09-16-2011, 09:16 PM. Reason: Removing more detailed speculation per Wayne's guidance

Comment

Looking at the photo on a yahoo article, it does show a piece missing from the elevator.

Comment

i hope and prey that the races contune net year for jimmys sake and i can tell also from the video he was trying to miss the stands

Comment

CNN I believe it was, mentioned a Mayday was called. Also the loss of an elevator trim tab.

Looks as if Jimmy really pulled back hard trying to miss the stands.

Thoughts and prayers to all and especially the families...
                Last edited by John; 09-16-2011, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I was a few boxes down in row A. I don't think i will ever get over this. worst thing i have ever seen. Jimmy tried his best to save it, i thought it was going to get me..... talked with someone in the know and it is thought it was a trimtab loss..

God bless everyone involved...

Comment

Working...
                  X