A few considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A few considerations

And Rich did that Old School with a slide rule... Awesome.

Thanks Rich,

Dave
    Dave

Comment

I think race 38 is the dark horse...

I think folks will be surprised by GG and if they do the things that I discussed with them last year #38 has some great potential!

Comment

I don't think "the Bear" is ready for... "also ran", just yet...!!!!

Comment

All the if's and couldas and shouldas and gonna's and wills, still dont come close to the silver nosed italian . . . . . . . . . . .now in mothballs.
          Flown by the demonstrated best pilot ever! With the best crew ever and the best engine builder ever, and the best fan club ever!

DOH!!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWyYIJMGnY[/YT]

Oh and here is how they always end up. . .

Comment

I get shivers up and down my spine every time I see that video, and I have seen it a few hundred times I bet.

Comment

Oh the days gone by of the Dago Dogs, there all week in the shade of the trailer. That was the coolest lap ever, I have never seen a tighter turn around the last pylon.

Derrek

Comment

I'll break this into 2 groups.
                Regulars, teams & planes that have been at it regularly for the last few years. In this group the favorite has to be Strega with consecutive wins. The Bear can't be counted out as they seem to have the deepest pockets and have been flying regular. The unknown is Vodoo, with a crew chief who has more wins than anyone. If all 3 make to Sunday we will see one heck of a race, and I would bet at least one won't make it to the checkered flag.
                Dreadnaught will be hauling the mail but won't be a contender without some serious carnage up front.

The new guys/planes, these are all programs and planes that will be put to the test for the first time under the stress of the racing environment. That is Reno.

Galloping Ghost, sorry but just cause they chopped the scoop off doesn't make it an instant winner. You still need a whole herd of horses under the hood, and to do that there are multiple systems that all have to work together to keep everything happy and I don't see it happening this year.

Precious Metal. Same thing, I wish them the best and hope to see them in the Gold but don't see them pushing the top 3, but possibly tight on the Buicks back bumper.

Furias. This is the dark horse of the first timers. Pictures show a very slick plane. 56 spark plugs firing 28 cylinders, even in stock form, is a lot of ponies. Keeping parts on the inside hasn't been a problem on these big motors, although keeping the screens clean has in the last couple of years. If the screens stay clean, will the aero mods be worth 30+ mph over a similarly powered Buick. I don't own a slide rule and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did, but My guess would be to see them in the mix up front, top 3 with attrition.

Comment

Don't forget that Dago Red,Kerch &Thorn were all part of "Tigers" crew back when it was flown to victory. Without "Tiger" & company there wouldn't have been Dago Red/Strega racers.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                    Don't forget that Dago Red,Kerch &Thorn were all part of "Tigers" crew back when it was flown to victory. Without "Tiger" & company there wouldn't have been Dago Red/Strega racers.
                    Isnt VooDoo from this same stable?

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaChuck View Post
                      ya all are like Crack to a drug addict! I hope everyone going this year has a safe trip; I think 2011 might be one for the record books.
                      Yes, indeed!

It's good to note those taking into account the modern calculation method for lap speeds. This being said, isn't the Bear still the fastest on book at Reno? Don't get me wrong, the Bear is FAST, I do not disagree...but I still don't think she'll run ahead of the mustangs, not this year. I'd bet #7 has a 520 lap in her...that would even break the old 500 barrier, which still has not been officially broken, not by my standard!

I know where you are coming from Arctic Cat, in regards to GG, but there's a lot more involved with this pony than a chopped belly.

That '02 Dago clip is great, I remember being with race #44 Formula crew, waiting at runway 8 when Skip made that lap. It was Awesome with a capitol A!

JT

Comment

Originally posted by Dago Dog View Post
                        All the if's and couldas and shouldas and gonna's and wills, still dont come close to the silver nosed italian . . . . . . . . . . .now in mothballs.
                        Flown by the demonstrated best pilot ever! With the best crew ever and the best engine builder ever, and the best fan club ever!

DOH!!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWyYIJMGnY[/YT]

Oh and here is how they always end up. . .

That video's still out there, huh? I shot that video back in 2002 for Pylon1, but didn't realize it had made it's way to YouTube. The commentary is by longtime aviation photographer Jim Dunn. It still makes me laugh when I hear it.

SA

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                          Yes, indeed!

It's good to note those taking into account the modern calculation method for lap speeds. This being said, isn't the Bear still the fastest on book at Reno? Don't get me wrong, the Bear is FAST, I do not disagree...but I still don't think she'll run ahead of the mustangs, not this year. I'd bet #7 has a 520 lap in her...that would even break the old 500 barrier, which still has not been officially broken, not by my standard!

JT
                          The Friday 2003 race is bar none, the fastest ever at Reno, even considering the course changes. No other race has ever sustained those speeds for all laps. One can say all they want that a particular airplane is "faster", but that doesn't count until it completes an entire race at that speed.

Michael
                          Last edited by Mluvara; 09-04-2011, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Just 2 short weeks from today and many of the unknowns will be known.

The "off year" maybe saved a lot of equipment?

Our patience to be rewarded?
                            Getting excited now.

Tj

shame CzechMate won't be here this year. One of my perennial favorites.
                            Tom Johnson,
                            Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
                            www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

The day is coming when the Silver will need a steady 460 to win, the big round motors will hold this. Thanks, KC

Comment

Putting Mustang(Merlin)and "stamina" in the same breath is an oxymoron. Notwithstanding the past very FEW years of phemenominal good luck in that camp.

Comment

Working...
                                X