X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: * FURIAS FLIES AGAIN!!!

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
    So what's the story on the gear?

They'll have hat's and t-shirts at the races!("gear") and maybe even stickers

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
      DT have ear to railroad track??.... DT hear sumpting???
      I heard there was an issue, but I wasn't there.

Just curious if I could learn was something that might be helpful down the road.

Comment

So I think I heard the problem was the prop. So today they took the CAF Camarillo bearcat and switched the props in Ione. A prop that was on the bearcat going on Furias. Nice
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

If you turn the sound up there is a high pitched squeal just after she passes the camera man, plus all the brownish smoke from the left wheel all the way down the runway.

Dont look like a break locked up. I would think she would have been pulling to the left big time if it were. Maybe out of alignment?

Comment

I don't think it was brake lock up, but i do think the left brake was dragging. It sounded like brake/tire squeal when she went by, and that definitely looked like brake dust............plus look how much right rudder Brian's feeding it. I know some of that is to counter act the torque and that big f-ing prop, but it looks excessive.............
            Last edited by t-dub; 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM.
            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

I didn't see brake dust, only regular dust.

Comment

just curious, does the bearcat use the same blade as the skyraider? I know that the skyraider prop is used on the 3350 fury's. just wondering if its the same blade on a different hub to fit the pratt.
                bob burns
                ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                "dont mess with texas"

Comment

.........plus look how much right rudder Brian's feeding it. I know some of that is to counter act the torque and that big f-ing prop, but it looks excessive.............[/QUOTE]

If you look closely, he has it trimmed left. Just keeping it straight is all I see

Comment

As promised- Chad Sanders came through & sent us his excellent set of color photos documenting Chuck Greenhill's Hawker Super Sea Fury- Race #15 Furias' innaugural post-restoration test flight fm Eagle's Nest - Ione, CA. last Saturday 8/27/11 around noon. Dennis Sanders was Furias' test pilot for the half-hour flight. Brother- Brian Sanders flew chase in the Sanders' Sea Fury- Argonaught w/Team Furias' project engineer- Dave Fagoaga riding-along to keep an eye on his charge. So here's Chad's shots presented in sequence covering the entire exciting event,-starting w/pre-takeoff warmup of Furias' big P&W R-4360 engine.

My sincerest-thanks goes out to Chad Sanders for generously-sharing his remarkable photo captures of this momentus Unlimited Class air racing event. Chad hosts the popular Furias Fan Group Facebook page,-for those of you who are FB-goers & anyone who may be interested in joining this growing group of race fans- is cordially-invited & encouraged to do so. This page offers Team Furias news & a great photo gallery, along with plenty of fan feedback commentary. Please DO check it out, air race fans,-no matter who you're rootin'-for to win!

"GO FURIAS!"

DBD
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BuckyD; 08-31-2011, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I think the left brake did lock up on takeoff, you can hear it and see the tire smoke. Through another source I know the Sanders brothers are doing the testing before turning her over to Matt and that there was a minor gear problem easily fixed (bad microswitch contact). Know nothing about prop issues or anything else. Hope she makes the "big show" but in my experience it usually takes two or three years to get the most out of "new" racers.
                      Ron Henning

Comment

Thank you Chad for the photos. Please keep the updates and pics coming.

Comment

I think it was just an echo off one of the metal hangars behind the camera. I've heard prop tip noise echo off one before and it really stood out.

Comment

So where's all the OIL? After running it's supposed to be covered in OIL. Did they run out?

Looks like it runs unnaturally clean.
                            It and Dread are gonna sound AWESOME together.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

The way some of you folks are reacting you'd think the first flight footage was the Zapruder film.

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead View Post
                                The way some of you folks are reacting you'd think the first flight footage was the Zapruder film.
                                Well, there was a second 4360 on the grassy knoll.
                                Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                                Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                                X