Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Get started in Air Racing/ Intro

Originally posted by Leo View Post
    I've got the car but not the contacts! Besides, I won't drive it off the road at 5 MPH when buzzed...
    I would think you could get into the F-1 or Biplane classes RELATIVELY cheaply. Buying the plane is a fraction of it though. Buy a used racer (I've seen several "for sale" there in the past) and you will probably want to rebuild it. Add a crew and costs to be there (even if they are volunteer friends) and associated stuff. Still not totally outrageous if you have the money to spend on a hobby.
    If you're going to do the flying you have a lot of it to do just to prepare and it ain't cheap. A job in aviation would be a must I would think at least nowadays. It will also take some time to build hours and skills so be patient. I know guys half my age that are pro pilots and have thousands of hours. As a hobbyist I spent years washing, running wings, hooking tow and just about everything else to get the lessons and pay for rentals. Once I was there, I built a little over 300 hours in 6 YEARS spending every extra penny and piece of spare time, so you have to be MUCH more serious about it than I was!
    Stick with it though. Hard work and sacrifice get you what you want eventually.
    Then Deepsky, Shawn, Lonnie, Don will wak it and drink your beer.
    I still have to find a way to pay for lessons to get my pilots license
    "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Comment

There's the old fashioned way that many of us went through, earning each hour and lesson eith sweat.
      The other option would be to go to school specifically for it. There are trade schools ("Institutes") out there that can take you through A&P programs, pilot programs up to your commercial, etc. and combinations of these. Most of the ones I looked at for A&P (when I looked at a complete career change) offered placement and student loans of one sort or another. Granted the placement may not be the best but it's a way. Just do the research so you don't get ripped, not all are on the up & up.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
        There's the old fashioned way that many of us went through, earning each hour and lesson eith sweat.
        The other option would be to go to school specifically for it. There are trade schools ("Institutes") out there that can take you through A&P programs, pilot programs up to your commercial, etc. and combinations of these. Most of the ones I looked at for A&P (when I looked at a complete career change) offered placement and student loans of one sort or another. Granted the placement may not be the best but it's a way. Just do the research so you don't get ripped, not all are on the up & up.
        The only one I know of is Delta Flight Academy and they seemed way to expensive for only 2 years of flying school and it doesn't count as a college degree, its aroudn $100,000!
        "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Comment

I looked at Sierra in Oakland at that time. There are many others, just look on line. Unless you are getting an Aero Engineering degree most are basically TRADE schools where you you get all the training, certificates and liseces you need for the job but not a degree. The training is specific and does not contain all of the general ed that a degree in anything requires. Kind of like the ITT ads you see on TV.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

If you can stand living in the middle of nowhere Western Oklahoma State College offers a Professional Pilot program. I can't vouch for the course so I'd do research if it was something you were intrested in.
            There's also Embry-Riddle which has a campus that's at least in the same state as you. Scotty G. (a member here, professional pilot AND Reno race pilot) went to Embry-Riddle if I'm not mistaken.
            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
            My Photos
            My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
              If you can stand living in the middle of nowhere Western Oklahoma State College offers a Professional Pilot program. I can't vouch for the course so I'd do research if it was something you were intrested in.
              There's also Embry-Riddle which has a campus that's at least in the same state as you. Scotty G. (a member here, professional pilot AND Reno race pilot) went to Embry-Riddle if I'm not mistaken.
              I can try replying to Embry-Riddle sadly they only want people with all A's in more advanced classes. Ill looking into Oklahoma though, maybe its something.

Comment

If you are seriously interested in learning to fly, either for fun or as a future profession, I suggest you join the forums at jetcareers.com.

The membership there is primarily younger/less experienced folks who are either in training, or in the first phases of their careers as professional pilots.

The one thing I will tell you, bar none, is avoid places like 'flight academies' and the like. If you want to learn to fly, go to your local airport and find a flight instructor. The cheapest and best route....

Comment

Working...
                X