Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YAK 50 seizes engine and lands in grass field, UK, 05/2010.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAK 50 seizes engine and lands in grass field, UK, 05/2010.

Did he hit something just prior to landing which damaged the plane or was the plane damaged by landing on the soft grass? The action begins at the 6 minute mark.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=552_1...9&c=1#comments
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 02-15-2011, 08:55 PM.

Re: YAK 50 seizes engine and lands in grass field, UK, 05/2010.

It said the engine had seized and the prop was windmilling.........how can that be on a piston engine........unless the cranshaft broke......or is there some kind of gear box or something on this engine?

Comment

Re: YAK 50 seizes engine and lands in grass field video, UK, 05/2010.

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
      Did he hit something just prior to landing which damaged the plane or was the plane damaged by landing on the soft grass? The action begins at the 6 minute mark.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=552_1...9&c=1#comments
      It looks and sounds like he clipped a stone wall right before landing.

Comment

The accident report is below:

Seems he pulled up over the dry stone wall during the force landing and stalled wheels up into the field on the other side (much better than hitting it full on).

Comment

I'm guessing that something had to of broke for the prop to windmill like that; if the engine seized, that thing would not have moved. It stated somewhere in the video that he was losing oil pressure, maybe in the prop governer? I'm guessing here, so go easy on me.
          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE ENGINE, HE DID A MAGNIFICANT JOB OF GETTING THE PLANE ON THE GROUND WITH A MINIMAL OF DAMAGE. I WOULD CALL HIM A GOOD PILOT And(lucky)....
            Scottysv

Comment

As I understand it the prop will windmill in the Yak50/52, thankfully my experience of flying the 52 has always been when the engine is working.
              The loss of oil pressure was due to oil pressure adjustment valve coming out of the engine scavange pump

Comment

Would the pilot have intentionally had the gear up or down in a field landing like this?

Comment

Working...
                X