Mr. Matt Jackson's Mayday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mr. Matt Jackson's Mayday

Hey, Matt, thanks a bunch for taking your time and explaining things in such great detail.....very interesting and well written.

Chris

Comment

Matt, You da man!
      Bill Garnett
      InterstellarDust
      Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Just a thought. If the master rod was glowing like was mentioned, the hottest area would be the large end where all the other rods are attached. And of course the bearing etc. From past experience of any sort of rod and bearing failures, the first thing that happens is friction welding to the crank journal, and complete oil boil off, from the bearing, and of the articulated rods knucle pins, causing siezure and breakage.
        A missing bearing would let the piston go beyond and deeper into the combustion space there by increasing the compression ratio and causing detonation, and the associated increases in cylinder temperature.
        Was there heat signature on the parts to support the glowing claim to the wrist pin then to the piston? What about rockwell tests on the parts? What parts were broke if any? Curious here.

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post
          Was there heat signature on the parts to support the glowing claim to the wrist pin then to the piston?
          Just a thought here on my part... Matt posts here under his real name, you do not and... a big IF here.. if you are questioning information Matt has shared here, I think it would be good for you to sign your post with a name...

Not trying to start a fight, or over-moderate the posts here... this just struck me as something you might want to think about...

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The post from one of my former team mates is well taken. It certainly could explain the detonation situation as well as the quick rise in the cylinder temp I experienced. We have not even torn the engine down yet so at this point its just a guessing game. Ill be sure and let the readers know what we find.

Matt Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
              The post from one of my former team mates is well taken. It certainly could explain the detonation situation as well as the quick rise in the cylinder temp I experienced. We have not even torn the engine down yet so at this point its just a guessing game. Ill be sure and let the readers know what we find.

Matt Jackson
              Thanks for clarifying Matt! I can't tell who's who when they sign up, I can see their real names, if they choose to use their actual name but didn't recognze Exhaust's name....

Glad you'se guys know each other and the info stream is a good and positive one!

Again, thanks a million for frequenting here and giving everyone a glimpse from the drivers seat! Priceless.......
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sorry not trying to cause problems. I feel it is very unsafe on the internet to use your real name, especially on some venues.
                There is talk all the time on the news about this sort of thing.
                This post can be removed if you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post
                  Sorry not trying to cause problems. I feel it is very unsafe on the internet to use your real name, especially on some venues.
                  There is talk all the time on the news about this sort of thing.
                  This post can be removed if you wish.
                  A wee little bit paranoid aren't we?

The real Tim Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
                    A wee little bit paranoid aren't we?

The real Tim Adams.
                    A "true" paranoia is usually in possession of all the facts!
                    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                      The engine was a 1978 overhaul. So the bottom line here is it really didnt owe us too much. This was the engine from Furias that had 14 cylinders changed, new ignition and carb installed.
                      I was wondering if it was still that same engine... I've always been a Dreadnought fan but there was almost no chatter on the boards about Race 8 this year- all the talk was centered on Strega, Voodoo, the Ghost, and (as always) Rare Bear. Nothing against them, but I like to hear more about the whole field. I'd been wondering if the Buick had gotten a new engine since last year or not. I'd assumed not, but its nice to hear the facts. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X