Penny to Retire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Penny to Retire

Futaba man myself and have been since 1976. I don't want a brown out !!! John is an aeromodeller himself. I wonder what he flies? I will ask him next time I see him up here at FHC. Rad

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
      I heard Futaba has struck a deal with the Bear team and the Bear will be raced via R/C by someone in Section 3.

Seriously, I'm in the let's see wait and see till there is some "official" announcement but I'm crossing my fingers for no change in flight crew for this most amazing racer (and pilot).

Spacegrrrl
      You're WAY too late on that observation. Nelson Ezell's kid included that in one of this cartoons many, many years ago....had a drawing of Lyle standing on top of the hauler with an R/C unit in his hand while Penney was "flying" the Bear.

Comment

I have been very happy with my Hitec TX and RX's

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          You're WAY too late on that observation. Nelson Ezell's kid included that in one of this cartoons many, many years ago....had a drawing of Lyle standing on top of the hauler with an R/C unit in his hand while Penney was "flying" the Bear.
          Reno 2005... and Lyle was "flying" the Bear using Futaba gear.
          Attached Files
          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
          My Photos
          My Ride

Comment

Re: Penney to Retire

First, in reading Mr. Penney's comments, he does say he isn't sure he will be racing Rare Bear next year and Stew may be the new pilot. Also, nothing is set in stone especially this far away from the races. I'll put $ on the fact that Stew will be the pilot and the person who broke the news was correct. She is rarely wrong in her blog.

Also, can we change the thread title to accurate display Mr. Penney's name? It's the least we can do after all his years of entertaining us.

Comment

It has been my experience over the years that each of the Webmasters have sources of inside info, so we who are not so privilaged just watch the whirlturn.

Comment

Originally posted by Funflyer View Post
                ...... John is an aeromodeller himself. ......
                I was John's "Crew Chief" in the late 50's & early 60's when he was flying models. We had a lot of fun, especially chasing on our bikes after the freeflight models that took off across our small town.
                Last edited by Epenney; 11-03-2010, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Caution......thread hijack..........

I worked for Hitec/MPX for over 12 years. Frankly all manufacturers make good stuff now. No need to bash any of the companies. We who fly R/C are truly living in the "good ol days" right now. Just stay away from the real cheap Chinese stuff.
                  '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Yes many of us here are areomodelers, myself I fly Control line Fly Clown Race and scale. if the attached worked those pics are a 1/10 scale model of Don Fairbanks Imperial Knight Twister
                    Attached Files

Comment

JR may make decent radios but they're not FASST.
                      Jeff

Comment

[QUOTE=Funflyer;84979] John is an aeromodeller himself. I wonder what he flies?

I’m humored by all the modeling talk. Have been a modeler since the mid 50s. Current operational stable includes:

C/L:
                        Thimble-Drome TD-4 Flight Trainer - Cox .049 (what I learned to fly with in mid 50s)
                        Sterling P-51 profile – Fox .35
                        Veco Thunderbird II – Torpedo .35 Greenhead
                        Sterling Waco SRE – Veco .19
                        Sterling SE-5 – Fox .35
                        Top Flite Flite Streak – McCoy .35 Redhead
                        2 CG Voodoos – Fox .35 Combat Special, Super Tiger C.35

R/C:
                        Top Flite Kwik Fli III – OS .60, CG retracts
                        Sig J-3 (72in) – Fox .25
                        Sterling Cessna 180 – OS .10
                        Guillows Bellanca 14-19 Cruisemaster – OS .10
                        Sterling Stearman – Saito .90

F/F:
                        Sterling J-3 Cub – Cox .020
                        Sterling Eindecker E-III – Cox .020

Rubber:
                        Guillows Fokker DRI

Control handles: Jim Walker U-Reely w/ .015 braided, Thimble Drome Skylon Reel with up to 35 feet of nylon, and a J. Roberts three line Flight Control. Radios: 2 Futabas, 6 channel & 8 channel.

They’re all engined and operational, although haven’t flown some for several years.

I Haven’t forgotten my roots……

Comment

Re: Penney to Retire

One of the first planes I built with my father was a Flight Streak. For C/L it had a Fox .19 race engine. Later when we moved to R/C I converted the old gal to R/C by changing the trailing edges of the wing to ailerons and building a box into the wing root to hold radio gear. Slapped an OS .25 FX on the nose and let her rip. That is one wicked fast model. Quick to maneuver and don't blink or she is out of sight. She competed in combat for a few years until a devastating loss in a mid-air.

John your McCoy .35 is only rated at .2 HP under the OS .25 FX. I bet your Flight Streak is lightning quick and a blast to fly!

P.S.
                          Thank you for signing my photograph this year! It means so much to me that Pilots like yourself, Dan Martin and Tiger take the time during such a crazy week to make a fan's day.

Comment

Working...
                          X