Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: At the static displays: Name That Powerplant

Originally posted by dvddude View Post
    So who owns that 3420? I saw it there, but I didn't see anything that indicated who owned it or was displaying it.
    The 3420 is owned by the Aerospace Museum at McClellan AFB in Sac. It was brought up to Reno by Dan Whitney. Mr. Whitney wrote the book "Vee's for Victory" detailing the development of the V-1710 and the 3420 is included.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
      The 3420 is owned by the Aerospace Museum at McClellan AFB in Sac. It was brought up to Reno by Dan Whitney. Mr. Whitney wrote the book "Vee's for Victory" detailing the development of the V-1710 and the 3420 is included.
      Ah, very cool, thanks for the info. Was Mr. Whitney selling any of his books at Reno? I didn't see a booth or anything nearby. I would have bought his book if I would have known.

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
        The California Aerospace Museum has a number of engines on the display floor, including an R-2800, an R-4360, a V-1710, a Centaurus and a J-58 (doesn't really belong in this list but it's still cool). Also some older prewar radials and rotaries.

The curator told me that the W-3420 is one of two on display, not sure if that's true but it's a very rare item in any case.

Comment

1) Split-S, my apologies. I have kind of hijacked your thread and am sorry about that but apparently not sorry enough to stop (insert appropriate smiley here).

2) Dan Whitney was there and had a display copy of his book. He was not around the 3420 often, or at least when I went by (which was several times a day). I do not know if he was selling his book but he may have been.

3) Kermit Weeks has or had a 3420 that was on display. The Allison Museum in Indiana has one. Wight Patterson has the XP-75 so they might have one but I don't know. But having one and it being on display are totally different. Weeks and Allison did not have the shafts and gear boxes like the one from the Aerospace Museum. As Kevin Eldredge said (for a completely different reason), "You don't see that every day."
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Joe Yancey has at least one, but it's his private stuff.

Comment

Back to the round engine...I don't know what it is but it sure had a lot of exhaust stacks. I counted 16 on each side.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X