2010 Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Pics

You weren't, Evan. You only stated a fact.

Comment

Here's a shot from the pits on Thursday afternoon...
      Attached Files
      Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        Evan, great shots...but will you please stop jabbing RARA because 'they won't let you anywhere near the pylons'?

It has nothing to do with your ability, and everything--EVERYTHING--to do with the insurance waiver and the deal with the FAA. You have to be 21. Period. My kid takes fantastic pictures too, as does Victor's son, and yes, they have been published too....but guess what? They can't go out there either.

Would you be mad at the department of licensing because they won't let you drive a car, even though you like cars and really want to drive one? You're not old enough yet. You will be someday.

But it's purely an administrative issue. It's not personal. The alternative is that NOBODY gets to go out to the pylons...and trust me, the FAA, and even some members within RARA would like nothing better than not having to worry about the transportation and safety about those who are taking pictures and video out at the pylons.

Keep taking your pictures, keep doing your interviews, keep doing everything that you're doing and when the time comes, the golden gates will open for you. Just got to have some patience, my friend.
        Big Jim, I didn't get the impression that Evan was jabbing RARA. You don't need to be so harsh, he's only 11 years old! Please don't kill his enthusiasm. It's people like Evan who are the future of Air Racing and the warbird world. We need to do everything we can to motivate kids' interest in this arena, not squander it. I think Evan is well aware why he is not out there, either from his own, or his Dad explaining it to him. I remember when I was a kid his age, going to airshows at Harlingen, Oshkosh, and other places. I VERY WELL remember the time at Harlingen in the 70's, when I was NOT allowed to go into the O'Club to hear Stanford Tuck and Adolf Galland discuss their experiences. I realized I was too young, but I didn't need anyone forcing it down my throat either. All I'm suggesting is to just tone it down a bit, O.K.? Remember, you are talking to a kid, not an adult.

Comment

Posted more shots here. http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/User/jetguy1

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude View Post
            Big Jim, I didn't get the impression that Evan was jabbing RARA. You don't need to be so harsh, he's only 11 years old! Please don't kill his enthusiasm. It's people like Evan who are the future of Air Racing and the warbird world. We need to do everything we can to motivate kids' interest in this arena, not squander it. I think Evan is well aware why he is not out there, either from his own, or his Dad explaining it to him. I remember when I was a kid his age, going to airshows at Harlingen, Oshkosh, and other places. I VERY WELL remember the time at Harlingen in the 70's, when I was NOT allowed to go into the O'Club to hear Stanford Tuck and Adolf Galland discuss their experiences. I realized I was too young, but I didn't need anyone forcing it down my throat either. All I'm suggesting is to just tone it down a bit, O.K.? Remember, you are talking to a kid, not an adult.
            I know...and I stated as such. Evan does some great stuff, and I can't wait to see what he can do in 11 years when he DOES get out there.

This happened last year too. "He" may think its unfair, but he also may not understand the other side of it....and those of us who are out there know how serious RARA takes this and how hard the FAA is standing over their shoulder watching.

Comment

evan call us and we will do an interview just little f1s but we are the funnest

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
                evan call us and we will do an interview just little f1s but we are the funnest
                I hope those are rootbeers!

This should be a fun interview (should it happen).

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                  I know...and I stated as such. Evan does some great stuff, and I can't wait to see what he can do in 11 years when he DOES get out there.

This happened last year too. "He" may think its unfair, but he also may not understand the other side of it....and those of us who are out there know how serious RARA takes this and how hard the FAA is standing over their shoulder watching.
                  I understand why I can't go out on the pylons and that's ok with me. I think the fence line is way better anyways!

I never said it was unfair Big_Jim and I don't see where I "keep jabbing RARA because 'they won't let you anywhere near the pylons'?

here are the other posts where I said anything about it
                  http://aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=7309 (you can see by the title I was a little mad)
                  All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

What happened last year was I had already lined up interviews with the Blue Angels at Reno and I was going to have their pilot compare and contrast their current plane with a Bear Cat - and stuff like that. Since that Bear Cat was going to be at Reno, I thought it could be a really cool interview with pictures! The Blues really loved the idea but RARA wouldn't give me credentials. So then the Blues contacted RARA and what do you know, RARA suddenly says I have credentials! I wrote back and thanked them and asked if my dad could have some too. They wrote back and asked me why. I wrote back and said I was 11 years old and my dad needs to be with me. They wrote back and said I had to be 21.

The problem is the Blues aren't authorized to give interviews except to authorized media credential wearing people. Since RARA wouldn't do that, the Blues couldn't let me interview them. All I wanted was the interview. I didn't have to go to the pylons for that!

It ended up being ok because I got a great interview with a Blues pilot at Salinas http://evanflys.com/frank_weisser -- you can hear it here too http://evanflys.com/audio_clips_2

by the way, I'm 12 now

Can we go back to Reno pictures now?

Last edited by evanflys; 09-25-2010, 08:36 PM.
                  http://evanflys.com/

Comment

Evan... I'm going to get shot, drawn and quartered for asking this but I'm going to do it anyway..

Honestly.. how much of what you do is actually YOU.. and how much is your Dad...

Not trying to shoot you down or anything but I've seen your video interviews and... again, I'm hanging out here and going to get shot, but it's only fair.. It looks like you're reading what someone has written for you to ask.. and your writings are almost "too" 11 year old.. as if scripted...

I want a truly honest answer here.. be if from you, or your dad... I've watched you and this process for a long time and I truly want to know the truth..

Flame me on folks but it's an honest observation and... well.. I think a very fair observational question..

Fire suit on..
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                        Evan... I'm going to get shot, drawn and quartered for asking this but I'm going to do it anyway..

Honestly.. how much of what you do is actually YOU.. and how much is your Dad...

Not trying to shoot you down or anything but I've seen your video interviews and... again, I'm hanging out here and going to get shot, but it's only fair.. It looks like you're reading what someone has written for you to ask.. and your writings are almost "too" 11 year old.. as if scripted...

I want a truly honest answer here.. be if from you, or your dad... I've watched you and this process for a long time and I truly want to know the truth..

Flame me on folks but it's an honest observation and... well.. I think a very fair observational question..

Fire suit on..

Hi Wayne - this is Evan's dad Tim writing now. He's sleeping in after dragging me to the Chico air show yesterday.

Your question is totally fair and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't come up sooner!

Evan's 12 years old and loves going to air shows, meeting interesting people and especially going flying. Since he doesn't get to fly enough, hanger flying is the next best thing. I enable him. He's also in 7th grade and his schoolwork has always come first so to answer your question, I do help him.

Here's the breakdown:
                        We used to split the photos 50-50 but now he shoots all the stills and I shoot just video. He's always gotten better shots than me anyways - which pisses me off!
                        All these are his except for the one of Tyson and his monster lens http://evanflys.com/reno_races_10
                        He's color blind so that pretty much kills his dream of being a military pilot and also leaves me to do the photo editing. I edit the videos too. Together we decide which photos go on his website. I'm the webmaster too but that means he tells me what he wants and I have to figure out how to do it.

For interviews he does them 100%. I just sit back and watch. He comes up with most of the questions, sometimes asking me for help, and sometimes for encouragement if he's nervous. (Bud Anderson was a big deal that he was really nervous about)
                        He does research on the person or the plane and comes up with 75%+ of the questions. He likes to have them written down since directing a conversation/interview is pretty hard for him still. I look them over and make suggestions.
                        Together we edit and sometimes if he begs enough I'll help transcribe them a bit too. (I hate typing and only use 2 fingers) We use Dragonspeak now which helps a lot.
                        7th grade is taking a lot more of his time so the interviews have slowed down quite a bit.

He sends all the e-mails to connect with people and does the posts on websites. He's kind of fearless in that respect. He does get shy initially in face to face stuff however - which is not unusual for a 12 year old!

I do keep a close eye on all things internet in case some Russian Bride or pervert tries to contact him so that means I screen his e-mails and also his webposts. He had a bad experience on a Lego web forum once.

As for the last post last night .... I had to supervise it and tone it down as Evan is not happy that Big_Jim is saying things he didn't say. So that post had my hand in it. I suggested the links to his past posts and had him lighten things up.

So yes, I help him. He's 12 years old! He calls us a team but I'm not sure it's fair to say that as I do all the driving, pay admission, buy him corn dogs, etc.!

You should also know I think he's an excellent writer. He's very well read and I will feel sorry for his high school history teacher!

Here he is w/out any notes at all http://www.vimeo.com/12186172
                        Here's an example of his writing talent http://evanflys.com/time_travel

To say I'm proud of him is a huge understatement. The opportunities he gets to meet legends and amazing people is absolutely priceless. Do I help him do that - you bet!

Tim

Comment

Tim, It was a great answer,very honest & to the point. You have every right to help your son & you should be very proud of him. I wish every parent would be like you. Thanks again Evan for all your good work.
                          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                            Tim, It was a great answer,very honest & to the point. You have every right to help your son & you should be very proud of him. I wish every parent would be like you. Thanks again Evan for all your good work.
                            Thanks for that Bob. I need to hear that sometimes because Evan tires me out! I'm not a pilot nor do I ever expect to be. I'm a high school special ed teacher so that means I've taken a vow of poverty! I will freely admit I do love the adventures Evan and I go on and I enjoy lurking here. I wouldn't trade our time together for anything.

My wife and I are really lucky to have such a great kid.

A couple of things I'd like to add:
                            Evan is a monthly columnist at Atlantic Flyer Magazine and is also on the air at Flightlineinternetradio.com. He never pursued that at all. In both cases he was approached by them to participate and Evan is extremely proud of having these "jobs." The guys at both outlets are just incredible.

Only once did he ever contact a magazine/newspaper about his stuff. Wayman at Pacific Flyer was incredibly rude to him and at this time I doubt Evan will ever attempt to contact another publication - which is just fine with me.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                            X