Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plane Crash from Sundays Sport Class Thunder Mustang 2010.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plane Crash from Sundays Sport Class Thunder Mustang 2010.

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
    A quick google search provided this on the cost of a Thunder Mustang:

A used, complete, built one is on the ThunderMustang.com website under Planes For Sale for $599,000. http://www.thundermustang.com/

and Wikipedia has it listed at $285,000 which I assume is a new, complete, unfinished plane? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_51_Thunder_Mustang

So based on those figures, one could assume the losses were somewhere between $300,000-$600,000?

LOL.. Keep on thinking that...

I'm willing to bet that would be the down payment on his TM.

Comment

Yeah,
      Tommy Rose once told me he could have had a really nice North American Mustang for what he had into his.

Comment

When valuing restored, modified, and homebuilt aircraft the rule of thumb is to take your best offer and double it to get the asking price, then double that to get the $$$ invested. (NOTE - No mention of blood, sweat, tears, divorce, etc., invested.)

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
          When valuing restored, modified, and homebuilt aircraft the rule of thumb is to take your best offer and double it to get the asking price, then double that to get the $$$ invested. (NOTE - No mention of blood, sweat, tears, divorce, etc., invested.)
          One multiple mustang owner once told me he had AIDS. Aircraft Induced Divorce Syndrom.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleup View Post
            One multiple mustang owner once told me he had AIDS. Aircraft Induced Divorce Syndrom.
            I'll have to remember that one.

Comment

Here is a picture link to Rapid Travel after the accident. http://i55.tinypic.com/fjzwwl.jpg

A few questions regarding reusing parts from wrecked planes. How much of this plane or parts to it, is salvageable and re-usable? Are all the most expensive pieces still usable or is all or most of it expensive stuff that cannot be re-used for safety purposes?

Could another Thunder Mustang owner use all the bits and pieces or are the parts considered a DO NOT USE since it came out of a wrecked plane?
              Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-28-2010, 09:36 AM.

Comment

In my opinion, based off of no real experience and not seeing the aircraft post accident (<<< read that?), I would say little would be usable.

The airframe is carbon fiber and you can not really unbolt anything to swap it to a different airframe. Based of the severity of the impact along with the cartweheeling, I would doubt anyone would want to use anything structural/critical/important because its integrity has most likely be compromised.

The fuselage started life as two pieces, a left and a right and were bonded together to make one big piece. So you can't really "rebuild" the front of the the fuselage no more than you can "rebuild" a broken window. Same goes with the rest of the plane. There is no drilling out rivets to replace a damaged section like on an aluminum bird.

Other expensive parts have probably been damaged or destroyed. Expensive parts are expensive typically due to their complexity and that complexity makes them more susceptible to damage. Drop a rock from 50 feet and it will be okay, but your smartphone will not do so well. Prop, engine, PSRU, avionics, radiator, gear, etc; some are destroyed but what had not been is probably damaged beyond repair.

So you are left with little, comparably inexpensive pieces that may be usable like the seat, baggage door, oil cooler door, some plumbing, rudder pedals, flight stick, etc.

Once again, I have not seen the A/C and have no experience in A/C salvage, but I would think it is a total loss. I'm sure that there are others here that have actual experience and will correct me if I am mistaken.

The most complex and expensive part of the aircraft did survive and will be reused (George Giboney).
                Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I am sure there a lots of fittings and shiney aluminum bits that can be saved from the powerplant. that stuff aint cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                    The most complex and expensive part of the aircraft did survive and will be reused (George Giboney).
                    Has George done an interview, which is public and online, and explained what happened? ie What he saw, what he thought as this event was going on?

Comment

There's one on Seattle's FOX station (KCPQ) here http://www.q13fox.com/news/ . Scroll down to "videos" then scroll through the videos until you find it (about 7 clicks).

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                        Here is a picture link to Rapid Travel after the accident. [URL="http://i55.xxxxxxi55.tinypic.com/fjzwwl.jpg[/URL]

Really??? I have put alot of racecars back together. No need for the photo's. Plenty of them around.

Comment

Working...
                        X