Gold Cancelled to winds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gold Cancelled to winds

Moving the races up in the schedule just could not be an option.

Speaking for the teams, many would not have been ready. Cowls are off, adjustments are being made. Preperations are often run all the way to launch time.

When there are 45 plus years of history at any event, "change" is not an easy word to put into action.

Glen
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
      Spot on Wolfee!

There has been no mention of problems with the Formula's, but I heard that two were damaged on takeoff (for the Gold I believe) Takeoff was on Rwy 32 with a quartering tailwind. One aborted the takeoff after getting upended that resuted in a prop strike. The other had a similar incident and continued the takeoff only to land shortly after.

The Gold results show a DNF for #1 and a DNS for #40.

Anyone know anything about this? I did not see it happen but a close and trusted friend told me about it.
      Miss USA went up on her nose on take off. Invictus was blown off the side of the runway and received some damage, but Phillip was able to get her air born and then return for a safe landing. It was a great piece of piloting skill to avoid going upside down in the dirt. Both were cleared off of 32 quickly to avoid any delays.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
        Moving the races up in the schedule just could not be an option.

Speaking for the teams, many would not have been ready. Cowls are off, adjustments are being made. Preperations are often run all the way to launch time.

When there are 45 plus years of history at any event, "change" is not an easy word to put into action.

Glen

And to further this point, Rare Bear was towed up to the Gold introduction well after everyone else was staged - after what I would presume was a mini thrash on a detail in preparation for the race. We were thinking they were not going to make it in time.

IF the race were spontaneously moved up a couple of hours due to forecast winds they would have likely been out, which in turn would have rightly pissed off the major participant this year - Rod Lewis. That among many other things would not have been good either.

Comment

Things are really tight in the schedule and not as flexible as one would think.

Anyone else hear the chatter on race control on Sunday as they sent the CA Guard F-16s taxiing in circles at the runway intersection?

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead View Post
            Things are really tight in the schedule and not as flexible as one would think.

Anyone else hear the chatter on race control on Sunday as they sent the CA Guard F-16s taxiing in circles at the runway intersection?

I did... As easy going as the F-16 guys were, there was defenetly tension, and one of the F-16s had to be parked (mech issues? fule? I don't know) But there was a private talk between the pilot(s) and Mike H about it shortly after he shut down.

I would be willing to say that it was not a nice convo.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              Miss USA went up on her nose on take off. Invictus was blown off the side of the runway and received some damage, but Phillip was able to get her air born and then return for a safe landing. It was a great piece of piloting skill to avoid going upside down in the dirt. Both were cleared off of 32 quickly to avoid any delays.
              Here are some photos of the damage to Invictus-although we were obviously disappointed we were out of the race we are thankful no one was injured, things could have been a lot worse.
              Russ
              Attached Files
              Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

I saw the one go up on her nose, but never saw the trouble with Invictus..........what happened? What caused the damage to the prop?

Comment

I have been a "hold back" on comments for as long as I can stand. Here is the way I see it. "No Balls, No Blue Chips". No fly, no race. Give back the money and the trophys. I would have flowen...or not acceped anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystical Power View Post
                    I have been a "hold back" on comments for as long as I can stand. Here is the way I see it. "No Balls, No Blue Chips". No fly, no race. Give back the money and the trophys. I would have flowen...or not acceped anything.
                    OH YEAH!!!!
                    _________
                    -Matt
                    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

• Re: because this thread is so long...

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
                      here is a closeup of rapid travel. please note what is left of the cockpit.
                      http://i55.tinypic.com/fjzwwl.jpg
                      Do you have any more pictures you can post or links to photos, of Rapid Travel, after it's accident?
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-28-2010, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Maybe it's just me (and a flawed memory), but it seems to me that over the last several years, the races have "slid" later into the month of September (a day or so at a time).

Can the races be held a week earlier? In other words, how was the weather in Reno on September 12?

For 2011, the races are set for September 14 - 18, one calendar day earlier than this year.

We've all seen some poor conditions at Stead during race week over the years, this year was another example of that.

Or, and more extreme, would it better to make the races a Labor Day weekend event?

Comment

Actually the best weather in the last few weeks was during the races. Just that Sunday went to %$#!
                          This week it's almost 100, but by Sunday will be 80 and, ahem, "breezy".

It's a crap shoot no matter what, you get what you get.
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I'll second that. Departures Monday was cool, calm and beautiful.

Whaddaya gonna do?

Comment

As long as I can remember the races have always been on the 3rd weekend in September.

It's Reno, there are no guarantees on the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                                Maybe it's just me (and a flawed memory), but it seems to me that over the last several years, the races have "slid" later into the month of September (a day or so at a time).

Can the races be held a week earlier? In other words, how was the weather in Reno on September 12?

For 2011, the races are set for September 14 - 18, one calendar day earlier than this year.

I believe 2012 is the next year where the dates fall back earlier because of the calendar. Third weekend is 15-16 Sept in 2012.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X