• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ghost qualifying

Thanks for the post. Cool.

Comment

They just towed it to a hanger. Hanger door is closed. Doesn't look like she is goin to fly today. Damn

Comment

No matter what happens, the Ghost is THE BEST looking racer on the tarmac in years. I absolutely love the low-key retro paint, Packard, and Sohio logos. I love Voodoo, Miss Merced, Rare Bear, and Dago Red (no kelp) paint schemes in their own way too, but this is just the bee's knees.

Comment

The online schedule lists the Medallion heat as canceled. Anyone know anything about how this affects the two unqualified airplanes?

edit: Whoops, online schedule is a copy of last years and this years may be different...
          Last edited by stuntflyr; 09-15-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Here is an article in the RGJ where Jimmy says they will be working their way up every day and flying a lot. I hope that is the case!!

Comment

Originally posted by doubleup View Post
              Here is an article in the RGJ where Jimmy says they will be working their way up every day and flying a lot. I hope that is the case!!

http://www.rgj.com/article/20100915/EVENTS05/100915045

wow thanks for article. Wont get to the races till friday but it sounds like the ghost will be flying after all

Comment

Anyone know exactly why they never tried to qualify?...Was it the definitely due to the gear door ?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
                  Anyone know exactly why they never tried to qualify?...Was it the definitely due to the gear door ?
                  Good question. The article in the RGJ sure makes it sound like it was planned to work their way through the classes this year.

Comment

Its an interesting way of getting to the gold, but it kinda makes sense. They didn't run at PRS so racing their way to the gold gives them laps to sort the thing out at race pace. If nothing else, its a way for more of the crowd to see it race. The flip side is the burning of the wick. IF they have a hot engine, this could be an issue, if they are running a stocker, perhaps not as much of an issue. I honestly don't know. I'm just happy to see the bird in the air. I can't wait to see it in person on Sunday.

If the gear door issue was just found in the pics yesterday, there could be other small issues that could be found in further pics from the race course. From my point of view, looking at pictures of the vehicle (airplane, car, ect) is a very good way to see what is going on with it. When ever I race the car, I look for pics taken of me so I can look for issues. The same thing holds true with air racing, just ask the Czech guys about the wing issue. Wayne's shot of the Ghost with the gear door open is a perfect example. Keep the pics rolling in.

Will

Comment

I hear they are having issues with the boil off system. Cooked a few motors in the process of getting it to function properly.

Comment

GG was on the ramp half-hour ago doing conservative run-up. Sounded OK but . RUMOR has it they were doing some engine stuff behind closed doors (possible engine change) this afternoon.

Comment

I heard the engine run was just so one of our "out of this world" photographers could get a few night times shots. The stuff you hear in the crowds...
                          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                          My Photos
                          My Ride

Comment

Jimmy seemed very non-stressed about "having" to fly the extra laps...

This is a pretty smart guy, Jimmy Leeward...
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The Tension, The Buzz, The Drama... oh man this is going to be interesting, J.L has always seemed to be a very smart operator when it comes to race week, and doing things behind closed doors.... adds to the buzz and the drama, the tension of starting from the back cant wait to start reading race results tomorrow....

The money tree has been planted... next year i aim to make the globe trott and be in Reno race week
                              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Also the earlier heats gives them more of the day to sort out problems afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X