Thoughts on the GP-5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on the GP-5?

GP5 was designed by George Pereira in Sacramento. He also designed the GP-4 (fast 2 seat low wing retractable) and the Osprey, a high engine pusher seaplane. Both wooden construction. (ospreyaircraft.com) I am not certain about the GP-5, but I think I read it is also wood. Vertical stab and rudder look kinda small, but bigger than on GP-4.

Looks faster than the thunderstangs just sitting on the ramp, but that's not where the race is...

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
      The Bear 360 is a scale Bearcat powered by the M14P as used in the Yak 52 and most of the russian aerobatic airframes.
      Some aspects of the 360 MAY have been inspired by the Bearcat but it is definitely not a scale Bearcat in any sense of the word. Looks fantastic none the less.

Comment

That bearhawk is a nice looking bird...

cut the canopy, mod up the engine, and lets go racing!...

Comment

Originally posted by JET1 View Post
          .....sounds ok...but im not to keen on car engines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGpxKY95U3s
          Hey there you found my video!
          That was from last year when they called me out to balance the GP-5's prop. As I recall it was already smooth enough and didn't need any adjustment.
          Here is my most recent Reno Racer balance job.
          My old friend Marlon, also a mutual friend of Will, was nice enough to pick me up at KSCK for the trip to do Steadfast.

Tomorrow I will be checking the balance of biplane racer #27 "Magic" to help out my friend Norman Way.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVibes View Post
            This GP-5?
            Or is there another plane with the same designation?
            SWEEEEEEEET looking airplane!
            Look at the prop on it! Hope to see this one competing and doing well at Reno!

Comment

Originally posted by shorebird View Post
              That looked like a full power run with the V-8. I'm surprised to see those small diameter wheels and brakes holding in place, maybe it was tied down.
              It appeared to have the tailwheel tied to the forklift behind it.

Comment

The Bear 360 is not a Bearhawk, that is a whole different kit plane along the lines of a Maule.

The Bear 360 started out as a kit but looks to have morphed into a prebuilt toy for rich frustrated fighter pilots.

The new iPhone app discussed elsewhere on this forum has Lee Behel as the pilot of the GP-5.
                John Smutny

Comment

Originally posted by eagledriver View Post
                  The Bear 360 is not a Bearhawk, that is a whole different kit plane along the lines of a Maule.
                  Bearhawk (is there even a class in Reno it could race in?)

(click on image for larger photo)

Comment

Originally posted by WARPT View Post
                    SWEEEEEEEET looking airplane!
                    Look at the prop on it! Hope to see this one competing and doing well at Reno!
                    That plane is sweet! The last time I saw it was around 2003 I believe. Also, the P-51, "This is it" is also based out of that airport along with a T-6 and a T-28 (in 2003 they were, don't know about now). I really wish this plane the best of luck. I know that a lot of people aren't very comfortable with car power in an airplane, as we all know it has been tried before. From what I can tell, the engine looks like a small block Chevy, possible a 350. I don't think you could ask for a more reliable engine to put in a airframe. To me, if there is any weak link it would be in the nose/gear reduction case. If you ask me, a sweet looking plane with some out of the box thinking. I wish it well.

Also, in that video, I didn't see any water hoses or radiator hooked up to that Merlin. I could imagine that that thing gets hot pretty damn quick! Prob. not to good for that motor.

Behind that hanger, there (in 2003) was also a 4360 on a test stand or test truck. Anyway pretty cool and thought I would share.
                    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

So the GP-5 shows as DNQ. Did it make it to Reno at all this year?

Wondering what happened to this very interesting new racer.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

The GP-5 flew very often the last three days in qualifying togehter with the other super sport racers, I don't understand why there are no qualifying speeds of GP-5 published on RARA homepage?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Scotty G from WAP is reporting that the GP-5 had a mayday yesterday during the qualifying session.
                          Sky Critter

Comment

Yes they had a mayday during their qual run and it looked to be a burned piston.
                            Jason Schillereff

Comment

The GP-5 is down and out... and then there were four.
                              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                              My Photos
                              My Ride

Comment

I was in the hanger a few minutes ago and they were loading her up on the trailer...wings off...I'm not sure ...but it looked like it was going home.

Comment

Working...
                                X