X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What da Focke??

Originally posted by Juke View Post
    This is 2800 hp engine without tweaks !

Wonder how much hp is needed to go 488 km/h ? Half throttle ?
    Juke, the R-2800 is an amazing powerplant, but also remember that 2800hp, as noted on the linked website was an experimental variant that was using water injection AND 115 octane fuel.

There is a series produced version of the Ash 82, the Ash82T that produced 1900hp, from a 14 cylinder with a capacity of 41L, that is 4 Cylinders and some 5L less capacity than the R2800 with 100 octane fuel, no water injection.
    The Lavochkin La 9 uses the Ash 82, and having seen the only one in the world that is airworthy and formally based in New Zealand, those pilots who flew it including the late Ray Hanna rated La9 as every bit as good if not better than the Grumman bearcat, and hawker sea fury. Ray Hanna was quoted in talking about La 9 that it is faster than a stock bearcat and stock sea fury, rolls better than both and would have been a very serious opponent in competent hands.
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

dvddude,

the stocker mustangs are running around 340, strega is at 480 and change. thats a 140 mph spread. I think that there is alot more drag that could be taken out of the 190 frame than you can take out of a mustang frame.

would I do it? no, there are not enough 190 airframes around. even with a new build airframe i would go stock, but I think that it could be a very fast aircraft in a full blown race program.
      bob burns
      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude View Post
        I don't know about that. The FW 190 design has a lot of drag. It would have to be very heavily modified to get anywhere close to the Unlimiteds. If you will notice this plane referenced above has a 2800, though it's not a race engine and only qualified at 303 mph. I guess that's probably about right for that design, and they probably didn't push it very hard either - rightly so. Do you honestly think more horsepower and aerodynamic changes could account for a 180 mph difference? I personally don't.

Regardless, it's a neat airplane and I always enjoy seeing unusual things rounding the pylons, even if they are not serious contenders for winning.
        Dude,
        You're wearing that silk scarf and white ten gallon hat a little too proud.

The FW190 is actually a very clean airframe for a radial design. It HAD to be to be to do what it did in the distant past.
        Take a look at images of a real radial engined 190 and count the scoops and air intakes.
        Now do the same for any other radial engined plane of that era.
        See a difference?
        Now look at the canopy and the way it fairs into the aft fuselage.
        Kinda looks like the modified fastback thing used on the modded racers don't it?
        I actually wish that a potent D9 variant could be assembled to compete.
        That might be a whole new show. Even with that big ole supercharger sugar scoop hanging in the breeze.

Comment

I think a lot of people are ignorant to what the 190 was/is capable of. If you read the history of the allied pilots who flew the captured examples that all say that it was an incredible aircraft. It's combat history, and admiration of the luftwaffe pilots who flew it, also speak volumes to what the aircraft is capable of.

While What de Focke did get ONE timed lap at a modest speed of 302 I dont think they in anyway were pushing it. They can still take another lap today and I would not be suprised to see another 50mph on that lap. The wartime versions were capable of 400 mph, and while that was at altitude, it was also fully armed and armored.

I think that a race preped FW-190 would do really well and be very similar in performance to Czech Mate with a much better wing design.

Comment

All technical points aside, am i the only one that thinks it will be kinda funny to see a 190 chasing mustangs around the course lol?

Comment

Originally posted by greyphantom View Post
              All technical points aside, am i the only one that thinks it will be kinda funny to see a 190 chasing mustangs around the course lol?
              There is something ironic with that Now all we need is a Me109, and a Zero in there and it will be totally covered. Heck, toss a Spitfire, Hurricane, P47, P38 and a Hellcat in and all theaters will be covered. We already have the Wildcat, Bearcat, Tigercat, F4U, and the P40s along with the the Mustangs.

I think a purpose built 190 racer would be pretty quick. Like others have stated, it is a pretty clean airframe for being a radial, and that could be further cleaned up for racing use.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                There is something ironic with that Now all we need is a Me109, and a Zero in there and it will be totally covered. Heck, toss a Spitfire, Hurricane, P47, P38 and a Hellcat in and all theaters will be covered. We already have the Wildcat, Bearcat, Tigercat, F4U, and the P40s along with the the Mustangs.

I think a purpose built 190 racer would be pretty quick. Like others have stated, it is a pretty clean airframe for being a radial, and that could be further cleaned up for racing use.

Will
                Toss in a LA-7 or LA-9 and a Mig-1 for good measure

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx View Post
                  Originally posted by NoVibes View Post
                  Dude,
                  You're wearing that silk scarf and white ten gallon hat a little too proud.

The FW190 is actually a very clean airframe for a radial design. It HAD to be to be to do what it did in the distant past.
                  Take a look at images of a real radial engined 190 and count the scoops and air intakes.
                  Now do the same for any other radial engined plane of that era.
                  See a difference?
                  Now look at the canopy and the way it fairs into the aft fuselage.
                  Kinda looks like the modified fastback thing used on the modded racers don't it?
                  I actually wish that a potent D9 variant could be assembled to compete.
                  That might be a whole new show. Even with that big ole supercharger sugar scoop hanging in the breeze.
                  Further to what was said about it being a clean airframe the grumman bearcar is a direct results of flying a captured fockwulfe 190 and a zero
                  they were found to have increadible rates of roll and climb the 190 also dive and were light but in the case of the 190 heavily armed so the head of the Grumman Iron works told the team to take the best of what they had found and design a light weight hotrod with power and fire power that could live with them and beat them at there own game
                  unfortunately i cant find my refrence source at this time so i cant give you the publication

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx View Post
                    How hard would it be to convince Jerry Yagen to bring his La-9 out for a play.. ive seen it in action here in NZ, at Warbirds over Wanaka 2010 the pilot John Lamont was heard to mention indication around 400mph on a couple of the low passes and it when he pulled into very gentle manouvers it generated wingtip vortices and the sound oh yeah.. beats any american radial any day of the millenium
                    (im still working on a video of it)

Comment

This Video from Wanaka 2010 is one of my favourite youtube clips,
                      The sound of the Ash82 is really interesting (last flyby )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EiKUFjegpw

Comment

The video is good.. but to be there and see it and hear it in the flesh.. the commentators stopped several times so the sound could be heard unfiltered.

Comment

Working...
                        X