Found Airplane Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found Airplane Stories

Called Walter straight up on a number listed on AOL's "Air Race Interest Group" or whatever they called it in 1999-ish. He answered the phone and started talking - I wrote as fast as I could for about 30 minutes. The Buffalo hidden from the Navy somewhere in Tennesee is still my favorite ...

Comment

Re: Found Airplane Stories

Thanks Randy for the newer pictures and the story. It is amazing that many of the planes show very little signs of deterioration since the first set of pictures were taken in 1987. This bodes well for the chances of them not being "too far gone" when Mr. Soplata moves on to that great "junk yard in the sky". Whether its through Trade a Plane or an auction there will certainly be a lot of interest in many of these planes that Walter saved. That they will have a future will be his greatest legacy. I'd better start buying lottery tickets, because I need that F7U.

Frank

Comment

Indeed Randy, thanks for the update... This gent sounds like one we have here in NZ, ok the gent here in NZ has no where near the collection of Mr Soplata, but he has several historical airframes, including a complete DeHavilland Mosquito, 3 or 4 P-51's a couple of P-40's among others, he bought them when the RNZAF were disposing of them, and this person basically towed the Mosquito home, built a hangar around it then towed the others home, the P-51's had the wing cut off with a gas axe outboard of the landing gear and the same goes for the P-40's but this gent very rarely opens the doors to let people in and view them, there was a group who are restoring a couple of mosquitos were let in to take measurements for various things but that is about it.
        He is located somewhere at the top of the South Island here in NZ.

Ive never seen in there myself, but have seen some images somewhere.
        The P-51s were from the batch of 30 recieved by the RNZAF at the close of WW2 and were flown by the Territorial Airforce here (kind of like the ANG in the States) before being sold for scrap.
        One of Kermit Weeks. P-51D's is an Ex RNZAF example.
        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

The bummer I am seeing 3 posts up the planes they got from him per the purchase agreement can't be flown ever???? didn't I see on hear the F2G is being restored to flight and the P82 ???guess I am just seeing things
          Last edited by h34race; 07-10-2010, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by h34race View Post
            The bummer I am seeing 3 posts up the planes they got from him per the purchase agreement can't be flown ever???? didn't I see on hear the F2G is being restored to flight and the P82 ???guess I am just seeing things
            I saw that too, things change. There are wishes, and negotiated reality.
            Last edited by Box A35; 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X