California 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: California 1000

Out of curiosity, it appears that there was a guy at the edge of the runway shooting what appears to be 16 mm film. Does anyone know what happened to that footage?

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
      Out of curiosity, it appears that there was a guy at the edge of the runway shooting what appears to be 16 mm film. Does anyone know what happened to that footage?
      Most likely that is part of the team that filmed the event for Pennzoil. There is actually a rather nice movie--one of several that were produced back in the day of various motorsports events--that you could rent from Pennzoil. Parts of that movie were used in the film Sky High from the early 1970's.

Comment

Great stuff- Howie Keefe's book has some good sections dealing with the group takeoffs and trying to pass the big Douglas.
        Russ
        Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

If I remember right, Howie was the prime mover and shaker (i.e. he bitched the loudest) of getting Super Snoopy and Red Baron 'banned' at the U.S. Cup...because it was so hard getting around the DC-7 at Mojave.

But I know several pilots who participated said it was a real pain in the behind to get caught in the turbulance of Super Snoopy and Wally McDonnell's A-26.

Comment

Working...
          X