Blue skies, Gary Austin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue skies, Gary Austin!

It is with deep sadness, that I must report that Gary Austin, "retroaviation" on this forum, passed away today. Gary was instrumental in the transformation process of the CAF's Liberator to near wartime standard. A master craftsman, A&P, and pilot, Gary had quite a history in warbirds and Reno. He worked for the Ezell's, the CAF, rebuilt several warbirds and was checked out in the CAF's Sea Fury. Rather than repeat a lot of what is posted elsewhere, the most current information is here:

Wayne, I apologize for plugging another aviation forum, but since Gary was so well-respected in the warbird world and Reno, I felt compelled to list this thread to inform others who might not have heard.

Blue skies, Gary Austin (retroaviation), you will be missed!

Re: Blue skies, Gary Austin!

Oh man... my hart sank when I read this sad, sad, sad news.

I loved his tails of getting to, and racing at Reno. His updates of his projects. He was a very talented man. Not only with air planes. but in the written word as well.

I was disapointed he was not at Reno for the races last year. I was looking forward to meeting him and thanking hm for his hard work talent, and keeping us all updated on his dream of racing. I posted here my thanks to him several times, and shared his story with my kids.

He is one man that will truly be missed.

Blue skies Gary. You are free now good sir.

Wolfee

Comment

Wow - sad!
      F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Better days...
        Attached Files
        F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Wow! I was completely shocked and saddened when the message board loaded. Still am. I hope something can be put together in Gary's memory.

Tommy

Comment

That's terrible. I really enjoyed his post and his accounts about his race plane. Blue skies and tailwinds Gary.

Comment

I'm shocked! Gary was just a "baby" in years wasn't he? What to hell happened? Was he sick and we just didn't know? God, this is awful!

My heart sunk when I read this, my thoughts are for those who were close to Gary....

Sad, very sad...
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Oh My... I just read over at the other site linked at the beginning of this post that Gary took his own life yesterday morning.. This is going to be a rough day for many..

Blue Skies Gary Austin....
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

For those of us that suffer from what killed Gary, It is a desease and one hard to understand by someone that does not have to endure it. Every hour of every day can be a struggle with the demon. Some battles you lose, some you win. It is tragic that someone as talanted, loved and appreciated as Gary has lost his struggle.

Blue skys and I am sure they have a project waiting for you.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

There are meds to combat this illness, some of us take them with varying degrees of success... I'm pretty sure that everyone who has it, has, at one time or other contemplated doing what Gary did.. Don't think there will ever be an "answer" to this....

Still very bummed!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sometimes even the meds do not help. Been there. Deepest condolences to his family.
                      Blue skies forever, Gary Austin!

Frank C.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank C. View Post
                        Sometimes even the meds do not help. Been there. Deepest condolences to his family.
                        Blue skies forever, Gary Austin!

Frank C.
                        Frank, I know a lot of folks who were close to Gary are tearing themselves up for "not doing" whatever... calling, emailing.. whatever..

A few months before Lou Meyer took his life, I was with him at the (then) Pylon Bar.. It was pretty clear that *something* was wrong, but I truly did not "get it".. He was so different than other times I'd spent with him, I should have caught that there was something going on... but...

Sad chit all of this! Maybe we all should be more open about problems like.... depression

And not feel ashamed to admit we have it when we do.. I'm diagnosed as... take meds for... I don't think I'd ever take my own life but.. have to admit, the thought has crossed my mind more than once..

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Blue Skies to Gary Austin. Sometimes even those close don't know what demons are being fought by the individual. Prayers to all of family & friends.
                          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Please post up "Maybee's Baby" pics.

Comment

This has been quite difficult for me, as Gary was a good friend. It's been painful watching as he lost his way after losing his medical and his license.

This is how I remember Gary...

Neal

Comment

Working...
                              X