Favorite air racing books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite air racing books

I really like "Griffon Powered Mustangs" by A. kevin Grantham and Nicholas A Veronico published by Specialty Press, part of their Raceplane Tech Series. Also Reno Air Racing by Michael O' Leary from Motorbooks. Kind of interesting seeing Air Classics' editor change his attitude towards air racing!

Comment

The Japinese Book By Masa Knife Edge Shawn

Comment

Bruce beat me in adding Don Vorderman's "The Great AIR RACES" to the listing, but here are a couple of gems covering the very early years.

"The First Air Race" by Owen S. Lieberg is an entire book devoted to the
        1909 Reims meet.

"The Speed Seekers" by Thomas G. Foxworth recounts in depth the post
        WWI, (1919-1926) period.

Frank

Comment

I just picked up The Great Air Races by Don Vorderman and also September Champions by Robert Hull full of interesting photos and stories by the participants from the early days to post-war Cleveland. Interesting shots of the tail of an F-86 with big pieces missing after the jet race (Race speed 587 m/h!)

BillRo

Comment

Cleveland's National Air Races by Thomas G. Matowitz, available on Amazon,interesting photos of some of the early racers, also photos showing the size of the crowds the races attracted.
            Russ
            Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
              I bought, read and enjoyed Racing for the Gold, the Lyle Shelton and Rare Bear bio at the races this year.

Thought I would ask posters what their favorite air racing books are?

John Tegler's Gentleman you have a race (my personal favorite)
              Fly low, fly fast by Robert Gandt
              Howie Keefe and Miss America’s autobiography
              Don Berliner’s Unlimited Air Racers

What else is out there for us race junkies to read?
              "Griffon Powered Mustangs" by Raceplane tech
              A. Kevin Grantham and Nicholas A. Veronico
              Great book! Sadly the last of these planes is going back to stock
              if nobody buys her. -G-

Comment

Still anxiously awaiting the publishing of A. Kevin Grantham's postwar Cleveland book which should have tons of previously unpublished photos and much rare color photography.

Nobody has mentioned Jim Larsen's fantastic "Directory of Unlimited Class Pylon Air Racers" from 1970 covering every Unlimited pylon racer from 1964 thru 1970. (Bradley and John...time to chime in on this!)

I'd love to see an all-color effort made in that same format for each decade starting with 1971.

Lowell

Comment

Working...
                X