Thunder Mustangs... A whole herd of them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunder Mustangs... A whole herd of them

I think the guy with the turbo prop should cut the scoop off and make it a Thunder Enforcer.

Comment

What I was told is that performance is very much the same between the turbine and the piston powered TMs. The turbine has a shorter range, but the Falconer has more parts going in various directions.

I too could not help but think of how it would look without the scoop. I've been thinking about that long before anyone put a turbine in a TM.
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
        What I was told is that performance is very much the same between the turbine and the piston powered TMs. The turbine has a shorter range, but the Falconer has more parts going in various directions.

I too could not help but think of how it would look without the scoop. I've been thinking about that long before anyone put a turbine in a TM.
        It would look like a bantam Enforcer.

$

P.S.: That would count as one of those "Stregaesque" mods TMs might need to beat the NXTs. $
        Attached Files
        "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
        Martin Caidin

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff E View Post
          Is it on any other sites? I checked the Thunder Mustang Site and didn't see anything.
          Its pretty cool... Would be great to see it fly. I saw the video of the other TM, love the sound of the Engine too.

Does any one know if any one took shots of all the individual TMs?

Thanks

Jeff
          Here are the only up close up shots I got during the show.

I have video I'll post later.
          Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by Paynts View Post
            didnt someone say that turbo prop engines big enough to power the current weight of unlimited at the speeds they are achieving would cost way more than building a race radial or inline as they currently run? Im sure i read a figure of nearly a million a pop or am i way off here?

Originally posted by Inverted View Post
            Considering 1100shp Pratts are around the 350k mark I wouldnt think that figure to be far off. BUT... Think of the reliability factory here, you can run that engine safely in its perameters for a long long time if its producing its power there. I have no idea what they would do in a race situation, but I would think it would produce much more safe racing.

An 1100 horsepower turbine in a legally-size unlimited (think P-51) is not gonna be competitive against 3000hp recips, much less some of the 3500+ hp V-12s. It may not even keep up with stockers! 1100hp might get you into the low 300s.

Think MUCH bigger. Find prices for something in the 3500-4000 hp range and let us know what you find.

You may think the smaller engine would be fine in a Thunder mustang or Lancair, but those are too small and light to qualify. It would have to be as large as Tsunami, and even that aircraft may be just barely big enough to race the big guys.

-

Gee, all those T-stangs make me think that we may have a new racing class in our future, but only if enough folk buy and build them up for racing duties. A mini-warbird replica class would be even cooler (mini P-38 anyone?)

Scale Bearcat and Corsair replicas would be cool too, if you could find round motors powerful enough...
            Last edited by AirDOGGe; 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jason.. Very cool..

Comment

Outstanding as usual Victor. Nice job on composition and lighting.
                Bill Garnett
                InterstellarDust
                Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                  An 1100 horsepower turbine in a legally-size unlimited (think P-51) is not gonna be competitive against 3000hp recips, much less some of the 3500+ hp V-12s. It may not even keep up with stockers! 1100hp might get you into the low 300s.

Think MUCH bigger. Find prices for something in the 3500-4000 hp range and let us know what you find.

You may think the smaller engine would be fine in a Thunder mustang or Lancair, but those are too small and light to qualify. It would have to be as large as Tsunami, and even that aircraft may be just barely big enough to race the big guys.

-

Gee, all those T-stangs make me think that we may have a new racing class in our future, but only if enough folk buy and build them up for racing duties. A mini-warbird replica class would be even cooler (mini P-38 anyone?)

Scale Bearcat and Corsair replicas would be cool too, if you could find round motors powerful enough...
                  I was just thinking about how cool a 3/4 scale Bearcat would be, but where would you find an engine that would both fit AND give impressive performance?

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                    I was just thinking about how cool a 3/4 scale Bearcat would be, but where would you find an engine that would both fit AND give impressive performance?
                    Search "Bearcat" in Barnstormers, there's a 3/4 scale F8F based around a R-670....and only $30K
                    BE THE FIRST ONE ON YOUR BLOCK!!!
                    Sorry, couldn't get the link to work, and I didn't want to copy the ad, but worth a look.

Paul
                    Last edited by Apteryx; 05-04-2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

hmmmmmm mini enforcer would be awesome... take the scoop off.. add tip tanks and stub pylons.. camo paint oh yeah i want me one of those!
                      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I dunno, TMII has been making some noise the last few weekends, usually up high. It sounds awesome and it SCOOTS.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx View Post
                          Search "Bearcat" in Barnstormers, there's a 3/4 scale F8F based around a R-670....and only $30K
                          BE THE FIRST ONE ON YOUR BLOCK!!!
                          Sorry, couldn't get the link to work, and I didn't want to copy the ad, but worth a look.

Paul
                          Lemme try...

Here's a link to their classified page with the 3/4 Bearcat. It's the last aircraft on the page, 4th plane from the top:

And here's a link to their page with photos of the "Bear-kitty?":
                          Aircraft for sale. Find the best new and used aircraft for sale such as business jets, helicopters, Experimental, Warbirds and more.

Hope they work.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-05-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that's the ticket.
                            Thanks AD.
                            (Brain fade, couldn't get it work).

Looks like a fun project.
                            If only......

Paul

Comment

I'm also curious as to why someone with a Thunder Mustang hasn't tried the break Bear's time to climb record. With a completely stock TM capable of nearly 6000 fpm, it wouldn't take much in the way of mods to make one break the record.

Comment

Hang a PW 2800 on the front of that....
                                Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X